Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    what you gonna bring??
    Well... If they let me in, I would bring spicy pappadoms.

Yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm!! :rolleyes:
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffersonairplane
    Well...If they let me in, I would bring spicy pappadoms.

Yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    Hm... never had it, will be interesting to try it.:)

May I play this song? http://6.cn/player.swf?vid=OvDHtp4lPWDdnasGxeopdA :rolleyes:
    4answers Posts: 200, Reputation: 35

Oct 20, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Talk to Ex's
    Talk to Ex's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of the loving relationships I have had that have not worked out, I have a desire / need for an understanding of the why's and wherefores of the relationship failure.

As a person I cannot accept, forgive or come to terms with that which I do not understand.

I would therefore like to talk to my ex's to discuss what went wrong. Is this feeling wrong? Should I ask them for this or is this just a need in me. Do others feel this way or do you simply shrug and say that one is over, lets move to the next ? I can't seem to do that. On any relationship where feelings were involved...
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 03:00 PM

I would think you know what went wrong with the relationship. I don't need my ex to tell me what I need to work on. There is no need to ask them or contact them. You should be in touch with yourself enough to point out the areas of development you may have... on the other hand, it may not have even been meant to be. Often times relationships just end. The two of you weren't meant to be... whatever.
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Oct 20, 2008, 03:16 PM

Dear 4answers,
    Many of us, similar to you, would like to know what went wrong and would appreciate feedback from an Ex, but the true is - it's just not realistic or appropriate to ask. Your Ex has (Exes have) probably long moved on forward to new things and new people. The fact that you can't let go, and get painstakingly hung up on one or various issues SO STRONGLY may be the KEY reason why your relationships don't work out. Not being able to mentally let go of one concern or event, can be a huge hindrance. It's a huge turn-off. Only you are dwelling on problems in your mind. Nobody else is in your mind. Your partner is probably living his or her life outside their head. I have a similar problem, (always stuck in my mind - not REALITY) but have learned when I must switch off my mind, and start living in the present. (don't dwell in past issues, GO FOR A LONG vigorous WALK - to raise the endorphen levels in your brain... and start something fresh that you enjoy.)

Seriously. Really. Exercise and read or engage yourself in a movie or go out to an event.
    Don't live in your head. It will be a lonely life.
    SimpleguyJoe Posts: 302, Reputation: 68

Oct 20, 2008, 03:47 PM

Well it is normal human nature to try to correct and fix things that are wrong. Your question really comes down to what kind of standings you and your ex hold each other in. If your still friends it's completely reasonable to ask maybe she might like to know as well. On the other hand if the night you broke up boils your blood and makes you remember a lot of screaming and things breaking I would let it go.

There is nothing wrong with self improvement. Like stated above though you should already have a pretty big clue in your head as to what turned you south.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 04:09 PM

Read my sig, that's enough to know why it went wrong.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 04:15 PM
    This will have to be a one-way experience. If you're interested in getting feedback so you can possibly do better next time, I'm sure they'll provide you some. If what you want is a chance to tell them what they did wrong (and call the speech you give them "closure")... that's wrong. You'll need to let that part go.

I think you'd get good feedback if you asked specific questions in writing so as to not be too leading when you asked. Then, the answers should be given to you in writing so you don't get a chance to argue and interrupt.

In that setting, you would be forced to actually hear the answers fully and think about them. This might be very useful to you.

Meanwhile, I know you want this to be a conversation, but you can't force your opinion on these exes unless they ASK you for the feedback. I'd say most men aren't interested in it.

If you're open to the feedback yourself though, ask for it in writing so you have to listen. I bet that would be VERY good for you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 10:51 PM

Let it go, and move on, as trying to get THAT kind of info from an ex is impossible and, simply because they don't know either. It didn't work, and the reason is really irrelevant.

An honest self evaluation will gain you more usable information, than any conversation with an ex will, and be less confusing.
    cordobas8888 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 02:39 AM

Sometimes when something goes wrong is for a reason, maybe you will never know what the reason was... after all we should not be aware of everything... another fact is taking feedback from an ex can not make you a better person or change you as a person... it is only curiosity without meaning... I believe that you would like to know what went wrong in order to be a better person with the next but each one is different or you only stay tuned to your ex which is something unhealthy... ignore the past and focus your mind on the present and why not think for the future

Best wishes

Apr 15, 2009, 07:59 PM
    More on breaking up than divorce
    I, like most people have struggled to make sense of breakups.

It seems strange that someone can go from being so loving, caring and supportive to someone then be so cold and uninterested!

I have an ex, who was well into me, wanted marriage etc. Now the relationship I had with this person means nothing at all to her.
    --> for some reason my mind cannot come to terms with this. Sorry should I say my heart. My rational mind says feelings and emotional attachments change but my emotions cannot accept that something that once meant so much to her can mean nothing. If feels like deceit!!

Is it deceit !
    jorgen182 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 08:57 PM

Breakups are hard. I have had my share. You don't want to be with someone who doesn't share the same feelings for you. Take care of yourself, be good to yourself, good guys will find good girls.

It's not deceit. It's just a part of what we all go through in dating. I have been there too. Don't dwell on it. Move on.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 09:04 PM

I have fallen out of love and in my personal experience it was just that we grew in different directions.

I still love him as a friend,he was my first love.I stopped loving him romantically and I didn't want it to happen but sadly ,it did.

I don't think its deceit,I think people sometimes just fall out of love.
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Apr 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
    Everybody goes through this. If you want to understand how it works, read A General Theory of Love. It relates a lot to parenting, but explains how we are wired emotionally as children, and will give you insight about why you are feeling this way.

Amazon.com: A General Theory of Love: Thomas Lewis, Fari Amini, Richard Lannon: Books

Best thing you can do for yourself: Learn that people love and let go; then let go.

Don't give it meaning that it doesn't have. It's not deceit. It's your chance to understand how human beings work and to imagine how you will love the next person who opens your heart.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 06:33 AM

Its not so much deceit, as a change in feelings.

The whole problem is whether you can accept it, or not.

For sure you can't change the feelings of others, but must deal with your own.

May 6, 2009, 07:32 PM
    ex's don't talk
    I am curious at why some ex's don't talk.

If the relationship was a one night stand or a brief fling then those ex's always talk. But if the relationship lasted years and had genuine love in it,then why not talk and be on friendly terms.

Surly it should count for something, but to just not even have a friendship after a loving relationship, means it has less value than a one night stand ?

surly this is wrong??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2009, 07:38 PM

Most are "ex's" because they were not talking or communicating when they were still together.

And normally when you are a ex one or both feel hurt and betrayed, and the last thing they want to do is be reminded of that by talking to your ex.

It is much harder to get over the other person having contact,
    I know myself, since my ex and I have a son together, * he lives with me* but I have to see or talk to my ex almost daily, I pick him up from her house after school.

It took so long to get over her since I had to see her daily.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2009, 07:53 PM

Because you invested time, emotions, money and other things on the relationship it's hard to remain on good terms when it's over.

It's usually the person that was dumped that wants to still be friends, the dumper just wants to cut their losses and go on with their lives.

Sometimes exes can be friends, but not usually right away.

I'm friends with a few of my exes, but it took many years before that happened.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 08:04 PM

For me, I don't talk to exes right away simply because the pain is too much at that time. After all of the emotional dust settles, then maybe a friendship can take place but I simply don't care to think about it much. If it happens, then it happens but I don't care.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 08:14 PM

You don't want to be reminded of the ex by talking to her all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I contact him again? [ 15 Answers ]

How long should I wait after the breakup before I can call my ex? I haven't talked to him for about 2 months now and the last time I bumped into him, he told me he misses me, gave me hugs and was sweet to me. When we first broke up, about 4 months ago, he called me for awhile and he kept telling...

Heartbreak - No Contact -Get back together. [ 27 Answers ]

At the end of a break up, it is natural to fight to save the break up. The other persons emotional interest in you is gone/going and your fighting to prevent this. You are desperate to save this. You act desperate. This is very unatractive and pushes your ex further away. By the time you realise...

No contact [ 13 Answers ]

Im currently doing the NC thing, my question is if I see her family or friends out do I ask how she is or say anything to them at all?

Too much contact? [ 17 Answers ]

K so I've been with my girlfriend for 3 months now, well its been official for that long but we've been seeing each other way longer than that. She moved into an apartment up school a little while ago and I've been over there a lot but I feel like I'm there too much. And when I'm there she tells me...

Should I contact her? [ 7 Answers ]

Been broke up with the love of my life for 2 1/2 months now and I still want to be with her. The last time I saw her was in person about 1 1/2 months ago. She said she didn't ever want to see me again. Before that, she asked me if I was seeing someone and I said yes. She said she was wating for...

View more questions Search