Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalewis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
    Is energy released or absorbed when water is changed from a gaseous to a liquid phase
    Is energy absorbed or released when water is changed from a gaseous to a liquid phase
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 09:57 PM

Say you have some water in a cup. What is the process of making it change from liquid to gaseous state called?

Boiling right? And how do you boil it? By heating it right? This means, you supply heat, and it absorbs heat to boil, or evaporate.

The reverse is true, that is, water loses energy when it condenses to form water again.

Solid -> Liquid -> Gas

Whenever you go from left to right, you are supplying energy, that is the substance absorbs energy.

Solid <- Liquid <- Gas

Whenever you go from right to left, the substance is releasing energy.

If you know about intermolecular bonding, metallic bonding and covalent bonding, you should know that states of matter are related to these.

In the solid state, the particles are held tightly held together so that they cannot move. This is why solids don't flow. The stronger the bonds, the more they'll remain as such.

In the liquid state, the particles are held quite tightly together. The particles can move around, but there are still some bonds which prevent them from escaping from the whole lot of other particles.

In the gas state, there is practically no bonding between the particles, such that they can get completely separated. The particles can now even 'fly' on their own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pl explain 3 phase energy meter working principle and how can reduce electric cost [ 1 Answers ]

I hope the energy meter will consider only the amount of current flow in case if I improve p.f. And reduce the current flow in mains circuit,is it will help to reduce my electricity bill, and reducing produce heat, loss of electricity. Kindly pardon my english.thanks

What's more energy efficient single phase or 3 phase and what's harder on the equip? [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I would like some advice from anyone willing to offer. I'm starting an ice cream business and I'm collecting used soft serve machines. Apparently, there are used machines configured for single phase and 3 phase 208V 240V etc... I would like to know which phase a voltage is more economical...

Phase Changes, tempurature, and heat energy [ 1 Answers ]

What is the rule about the relationship between phase changes and tempurature? Between phase changes and heat energy??

Energy requirements for each water phase [ 1 Answers ]

Is energy always required for each phase change?

Heat Energy Absorbed [ 2 Answers ]

A 300g piece of aluminum is heated from 30 degrees C to 150 degrees C. What amount of heat energy is absorbed? The specific heat capacity of aluminum is: 900 I tried doing this question.. and substituting it in the formula Q=m c DeltaT but I get a different answer from my teacher's answer. ...

View more questions Search