Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Varnishing wooding floors
    Hello guys,

I have wooding floors in my home I want to varnish. Can anyone tell me how it is done?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 11:45 AM

Hi david, I assume you mean wooden floors. Are they new floors, or are you refinishing older floors? It does make a difference in how they are treated. Here is a website that might help you to gather materials and give you general advice.

Essortment Articles: Free Online Articles on Health, Science, Education & More.. › Home & Garden
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi david, I assume you mean wooden floors. Are they new floors, or are you refinishing older floors? It does make a difference in how they are treated. Here is a website that might help you to gather materials and give you general advice.

Essortment Articles: Free Online Articles on Health, Science, Education & More.. › Home & Garden
    Yes they are wooden floors about maybe 90yrs. Old.
    Thanks for the web site tickle
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 05:13 PM

If they are that old, david, you may not want to just varnish them, but urethane them.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 07:52 PM

I agree with Tick, varnish is not the way to go. I would like to see a picture of the flooring and wonder if a total sanding and refinish might be in order. Wood Floor Doctor.com Your Professional Guide to Wood Floors
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jul 11, 2010, 03:13 AM

Did this in my 88 year-old house three years ago. Keep in mind, a lot of the finish used in those days was shellac (mine still had the original finish!) WHICH IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH POLYURETHANE. After sanding, I wiped the floors down with denatured alcohol, which is a solvent for shellac.

Bill
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2010, 03:26 AM
    And it is a real big job,even for the experienced.I have done one or two in my time, to use a power sander(stand-up model) and corner disc sanders,then cleaning the actual corners,getting the surface prepped properly(as Rover said,if there was shellac on it originally,you will have to wipe down).

How big an area are you needing to do?

Can you do a single area(small walkway/hall,etc) first to test yourself with the use of the equipment?Maybe just a closet floor with a handheld belt sander and disc unit to begin with?I think you will get a good idea then about the time and efforts needed to do this.

Just a cautionary note:)
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jul 11, 2010, 03:43 PM

There's also the consideration of what you want the finished job to look like. If you want them to look brand new, you'd almost have to use a drum sander. These things scare me (I didn't want to practice on my own floors!); I'd have hired a pro to go that route. As it is, I wanted to retain as much of the character and patina as possible, so I was able to rent a large orbital sander (more control, less stock removal). Edges were done with a belt sander and small orbital sander.

You should plan on three coats of polyurethane. I thinned the first coat with mineral spirits. Use the proper lambswool applicator. Follow the directions on the polyurethane, pay attention to direction of grain and wet edges. Plan your quitting points, if any.

My son helped substantially on the major sanding (I did the edges, all the wipe-down, finish application, etc.); we're in the contracting field and it took about two solid weeks start to finish for about 1600 square feet.

KBC--my son claims that was enough floors experience for him!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Romex between floors [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring the new addition to my house. It is two floors above ground and a basement below. Am I allowed to drill between floors and run Romex from one floor to another... using drilled holes, or do I need to have a conduit chase between floors for the romex to pass through. I have...

Squeaky floors [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a new laminate floor and wonder if this will stop any squeaks I have in the floor now? Do the existing squeaks have to be repaired BEFORE the new floor is put in?

Heated floors [ 1 Answers ]

Have gutted my bathroom, would like to lose the steam radiator. Who knows if heated floors would keep room warm? What other options do I have now that room is completely gutted. Plan on using tile for the floor

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search