Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2010, 12:55 PM
    For TK, Stan, etc: Proper way to wire a 240v air compressor
    I'm adding a 60 gallon upright air compressor to my shop. It has a 240v motor. Everything will be brand new from the breaker box, which is right next to the compressor. The motor on the compressor has 240 legs and ground. No neutral, the previous owner used the neuntral as a ground.

The motor is rated at 3hp and 15 amps.

1. Would the correct wire and breaker be 12-2 and 20 amps?
    2. What sort of disconnect do I need? I presume I can't run romex straight from the pressure switch into the breaker box.

I need to do this as cheaply as possible. I have tons of 12-2 and a roll of 12-3. We will want to shut off the compressor when it's not in use, however we can use the breaker if that is the easiest way.

Thanks guys!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 8, 2010, 01:03 PM

Well, I would not run NM right to the pressure switch. If the panel is that close I would run flex or sealtite.

You just need two hots and a ground. The previous owner simply used a white wire for the ground. I would use two "hot" colors and a green ground to make it right.

The breaker will serve perfectly as your means of disconnect.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2010, 02:00 PM

Stan is right, wiring a machine with NM just rubs us the wrong way.

I would settle for steel MC cable, or even smurf tube at least.

You can strip the sheathing and use the wire in something else that will offer more protection.

You taking out a permit for this?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:43 AM

There was an air compressor before there before, and for some reason, when the landlord removed it, he removed everything up to and including the breaker. Pretty sure he did it with romex.

It's out in the country, and I don't know if the building itself is even legal.. . Never thought about a permit. Don't want to get my landlord in trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of plug will I need to wire my air compressor 208-240 volt 15 amp motor [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a 60 gallon air compressor and it didn't come with a plug. I need to know what type of plug I'm going to need to wire to it. It just has 2 connections (1 black 1 white). What type of plug do I buy to hook up, and where can I get one? The motor is 208-240 volts 15 amps.

Selecting the Proper Size Air Compressor [ 0 Answers ]

It's not unusual for individuals to purchase the wrong size air compressor. Begin by performing a requirements analysis. Look at the air requirements of the tools that you'll be using. Specifically, focus on tool air consumption at load, not average air consumption. Most marketing literature...

Is it code to direct-wire an air compressor into the service panel? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to wire an old air compressor into an existing circuit breaker box. I don't know if this should be done, or do I run a plug in for it?

Connecting 240V 3 wire to 240V 4 wire [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new Electric Counter Top Stove. The New stove has only 3 wires to connect (Red, Black, and Ground). My old stove have 4 wires (Red, Black, White, and ground). What do I do with the White Wire that is coming from my Electrical Box. This is what the install manual says. You must...

View more questions Search