Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kandyrob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 07:13 PM
    In the state of Colorado can a mother take her son out of state if she has 50 50
    OK I left to Virginia to get a better life for me and my son.. right now he is living with his father. I have only been gone since January and it is July. We have been to court before and we have 50 50 custody. His father does not want him to live out of state but I want my son to live with me. His father right now is being very controlling and I hardly get to talk him on the phone.. I call every day. His father did indeed let him come to see me on mothers day for one week but I have not seen him since then.. I am working 2 jobs right now and am doing very well for myself. I was wondering if I got to go down to Colorado if it was against the law if I brought him back to Virginia with out his fathers consent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2010, 07:38 PM

Yes it would be against the law. It could leave you open for a parental kidnapping charge. At the least it will not look good for future custody hearings.

What are the current court orders governing physical and legal custody, support and visitation? Where were these court orders issued?
    kandyrob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 08:15 PM
    Well we had gone to court when my son was just over a year old and the courts gave us both 50 50.. We were both instructed to share 4 days with father then 4 days with me (mother).. But I was told that the paper work was only valid if we both went to parenting classes so now we both have no court order.. Because we never went to the parenting classes.. so there for we are back at square one with the matter.. We both have 50 50 but neither of us have custody.. It is an open case just as if we never went to court in the first place... So what should I do? I want my son but I don't have the money to take his father to court and I am in another state?? My son was born in Colorado.. and I just moved to Virginia
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:04 AM

Well, if there is no custody order and he is currently living in CO, they will have jurisdiction. You will have to file for custody in CO AND get them to allow the move to VA. If the father is at all interested in visitation, the court will not allow this as it presents him, the non-moved parent, with hardships.

Unless you and the father can come to some sort of agreement and have it formalized in court, you will very likely not be moving your son to VA.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2010, 09:02 AM

It is not like you never had a court order. Even if the finalization of the court order was dependent on your completing parenting classes, the spirit of the order still exists.

As long as one of the parents continues to live in CO then CO will have jurisdiction. I would highly recommend going through CO courts. If you take action outside the court, it will not look good when this winds up back in a CO court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pay state tax in Colorado ? [ 1 Answers ]

Moved new to Colorado. My Company is located in New Jersey. Still they don't have business registered in Colorado, they suggested to pay state tax on my own. Whether any one know any Colorado State Form to fill for paying the State Tax quarterly ? Thanks

HIPAA or other Violations?- State is Colorado [ 1 Answers ]

HIPAA Question- Colorado... Medical Dr/Surgeon takes numerous patient X-Rays, CAT scans, MRIs, medical records/ notes, and photos (before and after surgery or botox) and dumps them in piles in the den at HOME. This room is used by everyone in the household. The records and photos are not under...

Capital Gains State of Colorado [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of December my company stock was cashed in due to the sale of the company. This was a long term asset. I know that I need to pay 15% capital gains tax on that - is there also a State Capital gains tax?

Roommate/Rental Laws for the state of Colorado [ 1 Answers ]

I moved in 2 weeks ago to my boyfriend's home for the rental of $500.00/month. As it turns out he seems to have 2 different personalities and he is kicking me out of his home after I had the deadbolt and regular lock locked when he tried to enter. He got so pissed that he kicked the door down...

Colorado state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I file federal taxes every year and always have a refund coming back.However I have not filed state taxes in a few years, I am sure I would have money due to me, but since I have not filed will I be in trouble or owe?

View more questions Search