Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aimee_tt View Post
    Look what you both have made it through so far! Moving together till school starts will not be an issue for you both.

Its not forever and you will get to spend more time together.

Id say go for it.
    Yeah, moving in with me wouldn't be a huge deal; it's what happens with her family post-move that is the issue.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 08:52 PM

Tell her that she should be moving out for herself and not for you. You're right, it's only been 4 months, so it's too early to make such a huge commitment to you and only you. Think about it this way, (knock on wood), if you guys break up, would she regret moving out? That would suck for her.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    Tell her that she should be moving out for herself and not for you. You're right, it's only been 4 months, so it's too early to make such a huge commitment to you and only you. Think about it this way, (knock on wood), if you guys break up, would she regret moving out? That would suck for her.
    Oh, I agree completely. If she moves out, she's not moving in with me because she wants to live together. We've already established that it's too early to do so, but due to circumstances, we'll deal with it. If she moves out, it will be because she can't handle living at home anymore.

And yes, knock on wood. We've had a few minor ups and downs, but really, we've had a VERY open line of communication, and we're both openly honest with one another, and we've dealt with any upsets by talking and compromise.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 09:03 PM
    Sneezy, it isn't selfish. Selfish would be telling her to move in with you and not to think about the future. What you are doing is what we advise people to do nearly every day-allow their partners to stand up for themselves and do what they need to with support. It is her family. She has to deal with it. She has to deal with the fallout after you both go back to your respective schools.

Just keep letting her know that you are there for her.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 09:20 PM
    First... I'm jaded.

For too many reasons from too many angles. Dated a girl in med school. Controlling parents. More than enough young love crash and burns only after all in.

So...

I need the girl to take a stand against her parents. If she won't now, you know this is a struggle. Doesn't mean undoable... but seriously... she is an adult. Period. Act like it.

I get the parents "shock" at finding stuff that is shocking in the context of parent/child. Know what? Don't care. The parents need to grow up too.

Worst-ish case, it's a short term problem, maybe. Meaning the 'rents might make your summer fun less fun... its halfway through summer. What... six weeks until you are back?

My advice to you is to be up front with her... you get that its rough to have that pressure. You hope she can find her own footing. And that, long term thinking, this is a short term lock down for the summer.

I don't know. While I think this could easily be a longer term issue... and maybe one that you would be willing to deal with if it became serious and stayed strong... it also could be just a stupid thing getting in the way of a nice relationship that is good right now.

Most relationships at your stage, I believe, are for a time and not for all time... find a comfort zone between being the "understanding guy" who is willing to maybe wade through a few more weeks of dumb, dumn nonsense from the parents... and being the guy who is willing to say "this is what i want and hope for us" without it being a guilt trip.

Dated a Big Love with one really uber controlling parent, while she was in college and med school. It was sometimes clumbsy, sometimes annoying... mostly manageable. She wasn't responsible for her mothers personality... but as long as she was getting tuition paid by them, there were some strings attached that sometimes tripped us up.

Annoying. Inconvenient. She was worth the noise for that time.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    this is true. As you know, I'm more of a laid back kinda guy...if she moves out, then I'll be here for her...if she doesn't move out, I'm still here. I just can't seem to tell her to either move out or not. This is an issue with her family, and truth be told, I'd rather not get dragged in further than I already am. It may sound selfish...but I can't seem to figure out what the "right" thing to do is.

On one hand, yes, she is miserable at home, and can't stand it, so she wants to move out. I want her to be happier, so yes, I support that decision.

On the other hand, Asian parents are well, strict. Crazy strict. I was fortunate enough to have parents who learned to let go as I grew up, but a lot of my friends are still under strict parenting...even at 25 - 26. Moving out seems like it will destroy their relationship, and I wouldn't really want that for her.
    I will not claim to understand the Asian family. (But must say I do like the closeness they have) However I do know that respect is a big factor and decisions have to be made considering this part of it. Present situations can be difficult but thinking about the future and how it will be with her and her parents counts also. Particularly if you too end up together for good.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 06:08 AM

You're a thoughtful guy, but situations like this are really tricky. Its one thing to be supportive, and quite another to get in the middle of this. Giving her an easy out solves nothing and can only cause even worse feelings between a growing independent adult daughter, and very strict parents.

She is angry at them now, yet still dependent on them in many ways, but the biggest fact to me is the short time you have been together.

Yeah, sounds good on paper, just move in with you, and be done with the strict parents. That's the easy way out, for now.

The real issue is between her, and her parents, and she should be talking to them, as an adult, and not running away from them. At this time make no such moves fueled by emotions, and convenience, but she can take steps to insure her privacy, and let the emotional dust settle, and make a more thought out plan for herself.

In this way, you both get the time you need to talk more and see where your headed without making impulsive decisions that may come back to bite you in the butt.

Remember, decisions based on facts, and not just feelings are the best ways to deal with issues and situations, that may have more to them that meets the eye, and can have consequences later.

She may not be as ready as she thinks for what follows, and looks like a natural choice, and you may not be ready for the stress and pressure of her taking the easy way out of her house.

I play for time, and encourage her to see better options she may have. Something tells me, this is only the tip of the iceberg. She needs to have the means to stand on her own, if she is really ready for some adult responsibility. Her parents will always be an issue, and its important for her to take the correct steps to insure her privacy, but that's between them, and if you get in this, you become a target, and excuse for the parents, and probably are already, but don't know it.

Get the facts, all of them. Then make a good decision for yourself. For all the feelings, you are still young, STRANGERS with much more to find out about each other.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:04 AM

I agree with what kp and tal said. Moving out is simply her way of "running away." She does need to take a stand, but there are a few issues here.

1. We're Asian. Asian children... rarely take stands against their parents. Our philosophy is... they raised us, and it's our duty to obey and respect their wishes. It's as simple as that. As I said, I still have friends and relatives who are FAR MORE locked down than my girlfriend is, simply because it's just the way things are. Us taking a stand and telling parents that something is unfair is very disrespectful.

2. She is still being supported by her parents.

I talked to her this morning over breakfast, and I was trying to find that comfort zone between, "I'm here for you" and "I can't do this long term if this keeps up"... and I think I did it... ok. Cautiously, I mentioned that if this continues, in the long run, this does not bode well for us, as it adds stress that we just simply don't need. However, whichever decision she takes, I'll support her.

This is her current position:

She is currently under financial support from her parents, and thus, she is opposed to standing up against her parents. She is hoping that once she is in school again, away from her parents' financial support, that she will take a stand. She doesn't want to burn that bridge just for a taste of freedom for three weeks.

What bothers me, however, is that when I brought up the idea that she should at least talk to her parents about invading her privacy, her method is to just simply ignore it, withstand it, and hope that it will go away. This doesn't seem like a good solution, but hey... it's not my parents, so I can't say much. I simply advised that if she doesn't at least draw some boundaries, that this, whether she's 25 or 30, can happen. I doubt that she'll draw boundaries, but she's still holding onto hope that when she's out of the house, in three weeks, that this problem will simply disappear.

At least I got my point across that although I do support her, and I'm here for her, that I worry how this will affect our future (if we have one).
    Marriage Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 07:19 AM

I have to stop myself and remember that you have said she has a past history affecting their perceptions along with the normal cultural issues.

How much guilt is she carrying from 'going wild in college'? How much of their strictness and invasiveness is due to fear that she is repeating the past?
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    I have to stop myself and remember that you have said she has a past history affecting their perceptions along with the normal cultural issues.

How much guilt is she carrying from 'going wild in college'? How much of their strictness and invasiveness is due to fear that she is repeating the past?
    I, myself, have to remind myself of this as well. I keep forgetting that their actions are based upon what she has done in the past. Their actions are relatively justifiable when compared to her going wild in college. She partied and didn't get the grades that she could have gotten, so I believe her parents are afraid that she may repeat the past. In that case, their controlling behavior is justified.

She regrets what she did in college and admits that she did make mistakes, and she is adamant in not repeating her mistakes, as this is the career that she wants and there is nothing that will get in the way of that this time around, including myself. If I got in her way of becoming a doctor, she would drop me quick, as would I. We agreed that if our relationship got in the way of our academics, we would have to split up, simple as that.

My conclusion is that if she had a chat with her parents, explained to them that she's not willing to throw away her future career for anything, then perhaps that they would understand; from her perspective, however, she has tried talking to them multiple times, and each time resulted in them yelling at her and not allowing her to speak. It's a tough situation, and it seems something happens every few days, and I'm trying my best to stay out of it. I guess we'll see what happens in a few days, again.
    Marriage Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
    Good luck.

I hope things even out and that this isn't a preview of things to come.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 07:52 AM

When it comes to these kinds of situation, it's extremely difficult. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't type of scenario.

1) Either she will suffer, by continuing to endure her parents.

2) Or she will suffer, because she has to live with the guilt of disobeying her parents.

The more you think about it, the more frustrating as it gets.

However, since it's only been 4 months that you've been together, I suggest you focus on the relationship and not her family. Find more ways to make your relationship together as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

It's one thing to have honest communication and see where you each stand, but you don't want to spend all your time talking about her parents. Those kinds of conversations will take you circles, when you could have spent that time doing something fun together during the little time that you do have together.

The more fun you have together, the stronger the relationship gets. The harder it will be for others to shake your relationship.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    I suggest you focus on the relationship and not her family. Find more ways to make your relationship together as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.
    You're absolutely right. Because she's trying to find a solution to the situation, we spend most of our time talking about this, and we forget to enjoy each others' company. You're absolutely right. Thanks for the reminder.
    Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 08:17 AM

ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cat1864 again.
    Quote by Cat,
    I hope things even out and that this isn't a preview of things to come.
    I think that Cat is correct in pointing out that this drama is part of her maturity process she is going through, and a rare opportunity of you seeing a side of her you need to know, if you stay objective, and pay attention. You have given many reasons you should and not just sweep any facts under the rug at this point. Facts, and not just feelings. Calls for a clear head, and hers may NOT be. Don't be in a hurry, as more will definitely be revealed.

I, myself, have to remind myself of this as well. I keep forgetting that their actions are based upon what she has done in the past. Their actions are relatively justifiable when compared to her going wild in college. She partied and didn't get the grades that she could have gotten, so I believe her parents are afraid that she may repeat the past. In that case, their controlling behavior is justified.
    Knowing there are two sides to this saga will help you keep a good perspective.
    My conclusion is that if she had a chat with her parents, explained to them that she's not willing to throw away her future career for anything, then perhaps that they would understand; from her perspective, however, she has tried talking to them multiple times, and each time resulted in them yelling at her and not allowing her to speak. It's a tough situation, and it seems something happens every few days, and I'm trying my best to stay out of it. I guess we'll see what happens in a few days, again.
    Pay close attention to patterns. They are important to recognize and some may take time to develop. But I Wish makes a strong point about over talking her situation, in my view it sure stops the fun, but I can tell you that shared adversity tends to bond people. Not saying its right or wrong, just saying that some bonding in some areas will throw off your perspective. CAUTION IS ADVISED STRONGLY.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 08:20 AM

Tal: could you further elaborate? Caution as far as... to what?
    Marriage Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 08:57 AM
    It's a tough situation, and it seems something happens every few days,
    This is what is bothering me. My son had a girlfriend that every week something happened to her or with her family and her. Some of it was made up. Some of it was true. Some of it exaggerated. Some was her Mother/family. Most of it turned out to be her attempting to get more attention.

She was adept at getting people to feel sympathy for her and used it to try to hide her true personality behind.

I am not saying that your girlfriend is doing the same thing. Only that it is a concern to be on the look out for.

Have fun. Get to know each other. But as Tal said, don't close your eyes or ignore the signs that all isn't as it seems.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 09:03 AM

Hmm... I see what you mean. Due to my tendencies of not trusting anyone, I have been on the lookout, but then again, guys are idiots/blind when it comes to girls.

I have asked myself many times if all this could be... made up, but it seems too complicated/absurd for it to be made up, nor is she the type of person to want attention.

However, good advice, I will be on the lookout.
    Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Tal: could you further elaborate? Caution as far as...to what?
    Cat said it nicely, and yes we guys think with our feelings sometimes, and are slow to see red flags waving.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
    I'm fine with delegating this to cultural nuances.

So... the first priority needs to be her. And if walking a "straighter" path is what she needs to do to get support for her education...

... well...

Mixed feelings here.

She does not need them for this.

Is is more convenient.

Easier long term on her wallet.

But... the fact is this... she can finance her own education. It might not be under as favorable terms. It might take a different window of time. But she is not shackled.

My single parent mother helped me greatly during my schooling. I owe her more than I can ever repay monitarily. I have no issue with respecting and honoring the sacrifices made by parents who want a better life for their children.

But... you don't get to play both sides.

She is obedient by her own choice. It is tied to culture. It is tied to financial need. It is also her free will choice.

Likewise, you choose to stay, you don't complain. You know the drill. You know the situation. You have as good an understanding, and likely better, as any of us about the pressures and the obligations that are assumed and owned in this situation.

So... again... its short time before you are back.

If the noise about the discovered "inappropriate" messages doesn't fade... well... it's a risk you two both took, knowing it wouldn't be favorably viewed. So... own it and decide... if its too much grief for the noise, fine.

Some relationships are great, but have "bad timing"... maybe this is different. I think you both need to at least muck your way through this short-term tethering.

Its annoying. It could be different. It isn't. So you are where you are.

If you stay, you accept this patiently and without too much pressure on her side.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 10:19 PM

Kp: yep. You pretty much said it as straight as possible.

She will no longer be relying on her parents for finances once we return to school in August, and it's her method of cutting off the control looming over her.

I haven't put much pressure on her (I don't think), as I choose to stay here. I'm a grown up. I can leave whenever I choose to, so I don't blame her for my situation here at all. I figured it's easier for the both of us since we at least get to see each other every few days, even if it's for a few minutes.

I don't really pressure her at all, I simply remind her that although now and here, I'm dealing with it, we would need to figure something out for the long run, as this will not get any better, I don't think. But other than that, I've been relatively enjoying my vacation, and by that, I mean, I haven't left my bed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm stuck [ 23 Answers ]

Okay... Hello all, I have been a member for a few months now, and have grown to like everyone one here.. I usually help those who need it when it comes to relationships. I'de like to think that I give pretty good advice, however, I am now on here to seek knowledge. So with that being said here...

Stuck in between [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am 33 year old and stuck between these two girls, First one is my first love which I know for over 17 years. We had a 5-6 years stable relationship which was then ended by her. However, we never got apart. We were always good friends and even joined for couple of times. We managed to...

Stuck Between The Two [ 56 Answers ]

So I have been dating my current boyfriend for 6 going on 7 months now and I love him and enjoy being with him.. we went to high school together and he wants to have a family with me one day... byt on the other hand he's very secretive and we have had a lot of arguments over his so called best...

I'm Stuck [ 4 Answers ]

Okay... I have never asked anyone for help with this stupid situation I have got myself STUCK in. Well I have been with this guy for five years. After the third year the loving, happy, and fun man I was with wasn't so loving, happy or fun anymore. He went through a bad injury at work and was left...

I'm stuck [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I want to move on, but I don't. I'm very torn. The feelings I have for my ex still remain, and while I know these won't just disappear, I no longer want to feel miserable. It's been 2 months since we split. We've spoken since, where she has said (on separate occasions) that she...

View more questions Search