Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MEXICANBEAR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Want to replace roof, it's had 5 leaks repaired - what should I do?
    I own a home that is about 30 yrs old and has a clay/tile type roof. With age and a couple of hurricanes there have been leaks that have been repaired, of these three via the insurance co. (less deductible) and two which i have paid for out of pocket given the small size of the problem. We now face yet another leak... at this point i have had enough and would like to replace the roof. I note that the clay tile roofing material is not easily available and have had many tell me that it is no longer produced. I can not replace my current tiles many of which are broken (and should be replaced) with the new materials because of the mismatched size and color. How should i proceed.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Please turn your caps key off.

There are many types and styles of terracotta tile roofing materials.Is yours flat with a bull nose?Half pipe?Spanish style(an s shaped tile)? Does it have a glazed surface or no finish(not shiny),Who are 'they' telling you that it isn't produced anymore?

I have been in the roofing trades for more than 25 years,I have found replacements for every type of roof repair I have ever done.It might take some searching,but there are too many yards out there with recycled and stockpiled replacement tiles to say there aren't any left..

I would think they are looking to take your expensive tiles and replace them with cheep shingles, a scam in the making(seen it happen more than once,, watched a few of them get caught too! )

Where are you located?Since you are online you can check on recycling yards with your specific tile style and see of that's the way you want to go for your roof needs.

Back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with roof leaks! [ 11 Answers ]

I have water coming through by my chimney and at least one other vent; I've read that and on inspecting from above and below that the problem is lack of or repair needed of the flashing around these areas. However, I am a novice to do it yourself repair, even though am capable of doing certain...

Garage roof leaks [ 2 Answers ]

The valley where the garage and house meet, runs into the wall of a raised ceiling Room. This wall is brick, with siding on it. I had shingles and rotten board replaced, But the roof still leaks around this brick. From inside my garage I can see the water running down the brick, then down...

Rolled tar roof leaks on porch, any solutions? [ 7 Answers ]

We have a built-on porch (to the detached garage) put on in the 60's by the previous owner. The roof is tar, flat, and now it is leaking badly. A handyman put some tar stuff on it once or twice and that helped, but only momentarily. Do we have no option but to bring this porch down? Can a flat...

Lots of leaks in Roof -> what's the best solution [ 12 Answers ]

I bought this house last year May(2006). Last hurricane season passed without anyproblems and leaks anywhere in the house. But this season I have a lot of leak spots all around the house. The leaks started during the windy rains about 2 months back and I noticed all the spots are small and I didn't...

Patch or replace roof [ 4 Answers ]

Should I patch my roof or replace entire roof?

View more questions Search