Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennyprincess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 05:49 PM
    What are the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses
    What are the beliefs of Jahova Witness that distiguish it from other denominations? Why can't they give gifts but they can receive gifts?
    Thanks
    Penny Princess
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
    It may have to do with this:

"They recognize only one day of celebration: the Memorial of Christ's Death at the time of Passover. Although they estimate that Jesus was born sometime during October, this date is not celebrated. Members who are found celebrating "worldly" or "Pagan" holidays, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independence Day, Canada Day, Halloween, etc.) may be disfellowshipped (excommunicated)."

"Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate their own birthdays, because it is considered a glorification of the individual rather than the Creator."

I found that on this site:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness3.htm

The JW friends I have known are modest people that would faithfully follow their teachings but would not dare to tell another what to do -- that may explain the accepting of gifts without giving them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Actually you must realise, that even in the earliest Christian traditions, people did not celebrate birthdays, Chrstmass was not a holiday or celebrated and it was even non christian to wear wedding rings.

Over the years people started adopting customs of the nations and people around them, birthdays were celebrated. Next when it was still illegal to be a Christian, a Bishop declared that Dec 25 would be celebrated as bhe birthday of Christ, ( knowing it was not really the birthday of course) but the Romans were having holidays on that day, and if you did not celebrate you stood out, and since it was illegal to be a Christian, you would stand out and may be arrested, so it was a way to look like everyone else, but be doing it for Christ.

And the church just gave in around 500 or 600 AD and starting allowing wedding rings, they were a pagan tradition, showing the other party was owned by the other one.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 14, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Jehovah Witnesses are a offspring from Seven Day Adventist and the Morgans. Jehovah Witnesses do receive gifts and do give gifts as an expression of love to a mate and or friend, also to family member for no reason but “just because”. They have annual meetings called assemblies and a yearly convention with all regional halls congregation... congregate for inspiration. There are some Kingdom Halls or Freedom Halls that are totally spiritual and some that lack a spiritual conscience. They do believe that if you are not a watch tower and tact society member you must be part of the world, meaning your ways are too worldly and lack a spiritual direction. If, one is caught celebrating any holiday and ask the servants and elders for forgiveness it is done. Then there are other for reasons of their own will considered the issues but will fall short in Gods' eye. (there are some congregations that are self righteous a fall short). With most humans you just have to talk to the individual and hope that - that person is spiritually centered. Most if not all do not vote because they have chosen the savior as their leaders. They do believe in the son and father and the holy spirit, but the do not believe in the trinity.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 04:30 AM
    Excellent info above.

... and if you want to hear their version of it all, here is their site:
    http://www.watchtower.org/
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 05:14 AM
    The most amazing thing I've ever seen, is when JW's get together and erect a Kingdom Hall in 7 days. They held services that following Sunday.Truly an amazing feat since they did it themselves.
    faithfultojah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
    As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I would just like to respond to this question by saying that we do give gifts, to anyone we choose, we just don't give gifts for holidays, birthdays, etc. Giving gifts, or receiving such is not condemned in the bible, only the celebration of pagan holidays. If you would like to know which holidays originated for pagan traditions you can look it up in many encyclopedias. The truth is, nearly every holiday celebrated by people around the world began as a pagan holiday.

The definition of pagan is a person who is not religious according to the Mirriam Webster Dictionary.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 29, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS
    Jehovah Witnesses are a offspring from Seven Day Adventist and the Morgans.
    :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would finding intelligent Life on other planets effect Religious beliefs? [ 62 Answers ]

This has been touched on in a few threads from time to time. I am interested to hear some different point of views on this. If we were to discover intelligent Life on another planet, how would that effect religious beliefs? Does it help to prove or disprove certain religions?

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

Almost the same beliefs [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really"...

Changing beliefs [ 26 Answers ]

I am 26 and Jewish. I was raised partially by my family but mostly in several foster homes, with each one being of a different religious persuasion. First I was in a home where I went to a Chabad school (orthodox jews). In this home, we prayed and studied the torah every day, kept glatt kosher, I...

View more questions Search