Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cisemann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Is builder in Chicago responible after 4 years, if his plumber did not follow code?
    I purchsed a duplex condo in June 2006 with the master bed/bath in the basement level and just realized the tiled shower was leaking causing water damage and an airborne mold issue. I pulled a 12x12 tile off the shower bench, and noticed they did not use a water proof membrane. The bench was framed with a 2x12 which is rotting and water logged. The Bench is inside the shower and was not installed with a pitch, so water pools on the bench which I assume caused the leak into the framing of the adjacent wall. I have not verified they used a shower pan/membrance for the base of the shower yet, but I am not sure how to proceed. I've owned the condo for just over 4 years. Is the builder still responsible? Please help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 11:25 AM

If you are asking the legal question of what to do (and I would assume you are) I would sue for the damages you can prove, possibly in Small Claims Court (because it's a lot less expensive and you won't have legal fees) and I would name BOTH parties. Yes, the builder gave you whatever guarantees but I would name the plumber just in case the Court decides it's the plumber's problem.

I'd rather sue both then sue one, be denied, and have to start over.

Do you have expert testimony on this matter? Do other condos have the same problem?

If it's plumbing advice you need, someone will be along shortly.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 06:13 PM

I am not a lawyer, so my knowledge of law is minimal to non-existent. I am plumber and own a condo as well...

In my area, HOA can hold contractor responsible up to 10 years after the project (s)he worked on was completed.

In non-HOA complaints it is a general practice to hold contractor responsible (in serious complaints) up to 3 years.

There are several things I suggest you can do:

1. If I was you I would call your D.A. office. It should be simple answer to this question...
    2. Call local contractor's board with the same question. Get all licensing info
    3. Ask HOA for name, license and bond numbers of the contractor who performed the work. Most of contractors give HOA long term warranties on their work. Once you have this info, proceed with complaints...

Always give opportunity to the original contractor(s) to correct their work. Most of them will step up to the plate and correct the problem...

Let us know how you did... Milo
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 06:25 PM

And were permits gotten, city or building inspector signing off on it ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 8, 2010, 08:25 AM

What city are you in? Did you buy it new from a developer or had it been lived in before?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a plumber? [ 8 Answers ]

The shower head is leaking badly. Do I need a plumber or can I fix it myself?

Why is the University of Chicago blocking access to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge? [ 33 Answers ]

See this interesting article by Stanley Kurtz in National Review Online: Stanley Kurtz on Barack Obama, Bill Ayers & Chicago Annenberg Challenge on National Review Online "When Obama made his first run for political office, articles in both the Chicago Defender and the Hyde Park Herald featured...

Website builder [ 5 Answers ]

So I'm just curious, I'm working on a project for my dad's company. It's a 1031 leverage, exchange stuff. Anyway my question, is where can I find someone to help creat a website for him. He has one made, but they want to totally revamp it, and they have to have a login page and what not. For...

View more questions Search