Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Jul 6, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Advice on a camera
    I have owned 3 Kodak EasyShares in the past. The latest being the Z1285. I can say that, especially for the price, these are great cameras, especially the latter. I had no complaints except for one and this goes for the other 2 I owned:

They do not last long. All three of them were broken by the second month. After this happening a third time, I must say that my relationship is over with Kodak easyshare. With that being said, we move on to the case at hand...

I realize I am going to have to sacrifice a lot of things the easyshare has if I want to get another camera of a different brand, but similar price. My main concern right now is durability and HD video. I work with dogs, so I would like a durable camera, I do tend to drop things if I am not careful. I often visit my father in puerto rico, so waterproof cameras are also in the back of my mind.

I really like to take a lot of pictures, but I am not a hardcore photographer. I would like to know, first, what kind of OPTICAL ZOOM should I consider. It is the major thing that is giving me trouble deciding between the durable Pentax Optio W90 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 and the less durable-but great Canon PowerShot SX200IS.

I guess the bottom line is, optical zoom. How much is too much? How much is too little? And maybe someone has further suggestions after reading what I am looking for. I really would like to stay under 300$ I will consider buying used or refurbished. Thanks for the time in reading this.

EDIT: I might add that if someone can suggest a camera that allows optical zoom while video recording, that's cool. That's another feature I loved about the easyshare. It is ashame they break so easily
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 06:20 PM

The W90 looks good. And here is a link where you can find it on sale.

Ref:

Pentax Optio W90 16426 Digital Camera - 12.1 Megapixel 5X Optical Zoom, Waterproof, Shockproof, Dustproof, Coldproof, 2.7 LCD, Green at TigerDirect.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Camera [ 7 Answers ]

I attended a recent board meeting where the board and I were informed at meeting time that the entire meeting was going to be held in camera. Others, such as the secretary and treasurer were informed earlier that the entire meeting was going to be held in camera and that they were not to attend....

Which camera should I get? [ 5 Answers ]

http://www.digiworldhanoi.vn/digiold/wp-content/uploads/ti679_1.jpg http://www.pma-show.com/news_images/00365_canon-powershot-a470.jpg I am 13 and have never owned a digital camera before. I am becoming interested in photography, but I also would like a small camera for everyday use. I would...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

View more questions Search