Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamaih Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 04:28 PM
    If I marry someone that owe back pay child support will my check be garinshed
    Can my paycheck be garnished if my husband owe back pay in child support
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 04:30 PM

No, they may get a attachment for joint bank accounts, and you would have to prove what money in it is yours
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Jul 7, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Hello Jamaih,

That may depend on where you are located. Please be careful for if you live in a community property state this can be tricky. Perhaps your question would be better served if posted in the Family Law section. Good luck to you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 01:35 PM

FrChuck is correct - no. It is not your debt nor is it a joint debt.

Coming up with the child support figure is another story.

Who actually pays it? It's your husband's debt. BEWARE of joint accounts because you could spend a lot of time and energy proving what is yours and what is his - and lose in the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never ordered to pay child support can you get back pay [ 9 Answers ]

I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter. Her father has only seen her maybe 5 times her whole life. He has never been court ordered to pay child support but we did have a paternity test done when she about 1 year old. But he wouldn't stay in one place or keep a job long enough to get a support...

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can I leave the country if I owe back child support? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I leave the country if I owe back child support?

Child collecting back pay from parent ssdi and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My dad is disabled and child support and disabilty have been taking money out of his ssd check every month for my sister and I, but being in foster care there has been no payee for either of these for the past several years. I'll be 18 this year and my dad told me I could collect the money that's...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

View more questions Search