Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RockPimp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Repo in Colorado
    Due to a divose I am no longer able to make the payments on my truck. I asked about voulentering to let it repo but they then seid they would put a lien on my house for the diffence. The house is for sale. Can they do this?

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2006, 08:10 PM
    Not automatically.

First they could repo the truck, or take you to court and get a judgement on the court, but even after they repo the truck you still owe the difference, they don't just forget it. So if you owe 10,000 on the truck now, they repo it and add lets say 3000 in repo and legal fees. They sell it at auction with a auction fee of 2000. So they have 10000 loan and now 5000 in fees, at auction the truck sells for 8000 ( and that is being nice) so you end up still oweing 9000 after they take the truck back.

So they sue you for a judgement on the balance. Once they have a judgement they can attach your bank accounts, get a garnishment on your pay check, and maybe, just maybe get a lien on your home, which would have to be paid when you sold your home. ( if they know you are selling the home and thing there is enough money in it, they may try it)
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2006, 04:44 AM
    They cannot put a lien on your house, until they have a judgment, if will take on time before that even happens.

How long has the house been for sale?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2006, 05:46 AM
    You do not want to give them the truck back unless they totally forgive the loan, which is unlikely. As Chuck said, this will mean they sell the truck for whatever they can get then go after you for the difference.

The thing is its unlikely they will be able to put a lien on your home. Most states prohibit liens against a home unless the home was originally used for security on the loan. The exception is a mechanics lien from someone who did work on the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colorado Relocation Prior to Hearing [ 3 Answers ]

My husband (Anthony) and I live in Colorado. He fathered a child out of a one night stand in 2005 out of which his son was born December 2005. He is now eight months old. The mother also lived in this same area. From the very beginning Anthony told her that the two of them would not be...

Repo [ 1 Answers ]

We just got our truck repo-ed. We have had it for 5 yrs paying on it and recently we were not able to make the payments so we were 75days behind. We sent in a payment last week which was returned. So, now our truck got repo-ed. When we called to see about making arrangements to get our (ex)...

Repo Question [ 2 Answers ]

If a vehicle is repossessed by the dealer that sold it to you and resale’s the vehicle for more then you owed on the loan, who would be entitled to the extra money?

Repo [ 1 Answers ]

I had my car repossed by the bank for non -=payment... the bank ( credit union) has sent me something which indicates how mucha the car was for tax purposes/.. /.. how does repo affect your income taxes?

View more questions Search