Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Jul 5, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Something to Worry about or all In my head
    General brief discreption of myself...
    -27 year old white female who has three children and tubes tied.
    - Bipolar (on meds three times a day)
    -Massive headaches that have been coming on stronger even though I am taking 3 10mgs of profonolol a day (not sure if correct spelling)
    - I break out into "hot flashes" all day BUT I sometimes feel like it is a fever because I only sweat when I have a fever and I have noticed that lately my hands sweat more, which is making me think "fever".
    - Now three days ago I noticed a pea like "knot, bump, etc" that feels hard to me (not soft and moveable but firm and non-moveable) and is completely painless.
    _ I have also noticed that lately at night I am waking up more often during the night with a sudden sweaty feeling where I have to literly kick all of my covers off the bed and turn the fan on, then out of nowhere I am cold again.
    _ I also suffer from back and neck pain constantly.
    - About 8 months ago before I was diagnosed as bipolar I went to my OBGYN and demanded blood test because I just knew I was hitting early menapause (from tubal) or I had thyroid problems. Test came back with two numbers in my blood was swapped ( Whereas the one that was sopost to be low was high and vice versa) It also showed that my white blood cells were "low" but still in normal range)
    I was put on anti depressents which made everything worse (depression, etc.) I contacted my OBGYN who referred me to a Psycholigst where I relunctly didn't go to, until 5 months later and was diagnosed as Bipolar and put on medication.
    - My birth mother whom I don't know much about other then the fact that she was bipolar also and was dying from Leukemia the whole time she was carring me. She died 5 or 6 months after I was born. ALSO she was the age I am now.

Now with that being said I'm apprensive on wheater to call my doctor or just wait it out. I would be lying if I said I was not worried because of course I am BUT I always feel a guilty feeling as if I took up their time by coming in and I looked stupid because I am fine.

So what are your feelings and has anyone had a similar situation? I have a psychologist appt. Wednesday morning should I just bring it up to her and see what she thinks or call my MD whom I will add is one of the reasons I feel the way I do, because before I was diagnosed with bipolar she always made me feel stupid for being in her office.

For instance she always treated me like I was sucidal only giving me five pills every refill on my anxiety meds which I have to take. Then would tell me to come back and see her for a refill which then she still would only give me five pills at a time. Yes, I get depressed but I was not sucidal...

Please help me decide!!

I am sorry if this was to lengthy but I really appericate you taking the time to read it and reply.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 08:10 PM

Just a quick answer. I think that you need to contact the dr who prescribed the headache meds for you. You sound like you are having some kind of reaction to this medication. Also, if you don't feel comfortable with the woman dr who treats you like dirt, by all means find another dr who is willing to take the time with you and not demean you.

Your symptoms sound like you have some sort of infection of some kind hence the hot and cold sensations and sweating. Take your temperature as well and see just what your temp is when you are hot and what it is when you are feeling cold. This may be another clue to help your doctor figure out just what you problem is.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 08:20 PM

I'm actually wondering about your thyroid. You do have symptoms of low thyroid (hypothyroidism).

By all means, find a doctor who treats you better.

Jul 5, 2010, 08:34 PM

Would hypothyroidism cause the knot on my neck? The OBGYN this say it was low but that she didn't feel it was my thyroids. Because it was still in normal range.
    Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 09:44 PM

Is the knot on the front of the neck? Yes, hypothyroidism can cause something like this.

Jul 5, 2010, 09:48 PM

No, it's on my left side towards the back about 2 inches from the bottom of my ear.
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 12:00 AM

That could be nothing more than a swollen lymph node.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 01:08 AM
    Hi Crystal,

When I started medications for depression I also had the sweats,strange dreams were more my issue(as I am an outdoor worker,mainly roofing at that time),sweating was a part of the daily recovery from work, at least I thought it was.

For some reason or another,the medications I was taking at that time made me sweat... a lot!!

You haven't added what the meds are,knowing what they are,and perhaps the dosages,would help some of the medical professionals look into the side effects(you know,those areas we patients aren't privy to),as well as those of us who either take the meds themselves,or have in the past..

The headaches I remember as well,too high of medications at the time,or at least I thought they were(which,, WE are the recipient of the medications,WE have to live with the results,WE can ask for a lower dosage, in an attempt to stay compliant with our doctors orders)I suffered enough without medications,I chose not to suffer WITH them as well.

Open mind,honest talk with the professionals,express your concerns to them(Question:,"Meds for 5 days only,is that necessary?,how about 15 days supply and we'll see if that is going to work?"),something along those lines.

Now from the original post you have only been on medications for 3 months?(8 months antidepressants,3 months bipolar meds?)It does take a little time for the body to acclimate to new meds,sometimes months(It did for me anyway),everyone is different, no single medication,or combination of meds will work the same for any 2 people, we are all unique in our ways of absorption rates, metabolizing the meds,our bodies reactions to the new chemicals introduced to the brain/body,etc.

For you to have discomfort due to medications,ask for a change.If the discomfort is strictly imagined, or physical(menopause),ask for changes... You are the one in your skin, make it as comforting as you can, settle for nothing less than what you deserve.Proper medical treatment.

As was said earlier,if you aren't happy with the treatment received so far,seek others for treatments,there are many I had to go to until I found the one I am with today, more than a few years to finally find a trio of medical/psychiatric/psychological,that I now have.

Hope this helps,

KBC

Jul 13, 2010, 12:24 PM

Update, went to the oncologist and was put on 2000 mg of antibotics four days ago and still nothing. I have a CT scheduled for nexy week. He put Lymphomia
    On the area where it staes what to look for. He told me that the lumps were not normal and he told me to take the antibiotics for 10 days and then he said in his mind he is 3-4 % sure its Lymphomia and the CT scan will determine it. Now I'm worried that it is something serious since the lumps are still there. Does this mean it is likely to be cancer or is there a slight chance it could be something less serious?
    Thanks
    Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 02:29 PM

First let me ask you why you went to an oncologist. They are cancer doctors.

Jul 13, 2010, 02:44 PM

I went to my regular MD even though I didn't want too and she referred me to the oncologist, once I called to make the appt they got me in the next day. When I saw him he started feeling around my neck and shoulders and kept saying here's one, and here's one, he then went on to say that he felt some in the groin and the knee. He did say that they were abnormal. He also stated that 9 out of 10 people who come it is nothing but that I was the 1 in 10 that needed to be there. He then went on to say that he wanted to do the CT and more then likely a biospy. He put me on 850 mg twice a day and another antibiotic that's 750 mg twice a day, plus he put me on two naproxen a day.
    Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 03:22 PM

Please keep me posted on what you find out. This is sort of out of my area of expertise, but I'll help where I can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Could somebody help me clearly understand pump head I.e static head, delivery head [ 1 Answers ]

Could somebody help me clearly understand pump head i.e static head, delivery head, residual head and friction head . Please give me examples in S.I units. This is for plumbing purposes

Should I worry? [ 7 Answers ]

Why did my husband ask a single girl "who's the lucky guy"?

Do I have something to worry about? [ 7 Answers ]

So I swear I'm not snooping. But, I've had a really weird start to this relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for about a year. I do trust him but on his myspace it showed he was still single and had his ex as number 1. Then I asked him about it and kind of made him change it. Then I was...

Getting worry [ 1 Answers ]

Garrison shops had a SUTA tax rate of 3.7%. The state's taxable limit was 8,000 of each employee's earnings. For the year, Garrison shops had FUTA taxable wages of 67,900 and SUTA taxable wage of 83,900. Compute: A, Net FUTA tax B, Net SUTA tax

Help! Should I worry? [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help... My LMP was May 1st, I have a 28 day cycle, I had some spotting on the 24th of May, which last only 1/2 a day, I was supposed to get my period on Sunday 29 May, but I still haven't gotten a period yet... For the last 2 weeks, I have been hacking up a lot, I mean constantly...

View more questions Search