Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamkat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 05:10 AM
    Father was in jail when my son was born so he is not on BC and is now in jail again h
    When my son was born his father was in jail so he never signed the birth certificate, he was released when my son was 5 weeks old. My son is now 5 months old and he is back in jail again this time he will be going to prison for 2 years. He has never helped me finacially and now wants visitation of his son while he is in jail and to continue as well in prison, Is he obligated to pay any child support? How does child support work when the father is in prison? Can I file for full custody of my son while he is in there? I have always needed his help and was wondering if there was a way to get it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 05:32 AM

In order to get the visitation he wants he will have to file IN COURT for it. At this point I would do nothing - he has no wages with which to pay support and you have full custodial custody because he is in jail. When he gets out then he could file for visitation and you would counter that he's a danger to a child who doesn't know him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 08:39 AM

Much will depend on where you are at. In some states, merely not visiting and not paying child support will not take away any of the fathers rights.

Next "full" custody does not mean father can not get visits when he gets out of jail. Normally the court will not force you to take a child to a prison to visit, but the father can file for visits in court.

Child support is based off earnings, so he may file to have current support modified now that he is in prison, ( and in some cases when he gets out, file to have past support modified)

A few states ( Georgia is one of them where I am at) long term prison time is a reason to ask for fathers rights to be taken away, but 2 years is normally not considered long term

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is a pardon only for people who are out of jail or can someone in jail get one to get [ 4 Answers ]

My brother is in jail for violating his probation, first time offense can he get a pardon from the govnor to get out he supposed to serve 3 yrs. He has done a year already..

Father in jail [ 3 Answers ]

Okay. Here is my long story. My daughter is 4 is a couple of months. Her father has been in and out of jail his whole life. (who was I to try and change him) He is in jail right now. He cheated on me with a 13 year old. He has been in there for almost 2 year now. He has never had anything to with...

How do I find my son in jail? [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for my son, who thought he was off parol & celebrated by drinking. He called the police & they put he & his gal pal in Redding, California Jail. I live near Philly in PA. Want to write him a letter, if I could only find him? His name is Michael Anthony Thomson 41 years old, born...

Father always in jail [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters father is always in and out of jail she has never met him or knows about him. He tried contacting us about year ago when he got out of jail, but by the time I found out he was back in. I don't want my daughter to have to deal with that all her life I have since remarried and she...

View more questions Search