Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dominguez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Evictions in Las Vegas NV
    My rent is due on the 1st of each month (apartment complex), as of the 4th it is late ($50 for the 1st day and $5 each day after till rent is paid). Because of the unemployment bills inability to pass congress, I went to managers office and explained that rent would be late, waiting for congress to approve the bill. Office manager told me that they could give me till the 21st of the month, then on the 22nd I would receive a 24 hour notice and on the 23rd they would lock me out.
    I thought eviction proceeders took 30 days or more to take place and involved marshalls removing you from the premiss. Is there something I am missing.
    I have lived here a year and a half, the lease was over at the end of the 1st year and I am now 5 or 6 months into my 2nd lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 01:18 PM

Fist of course congress not passing a bill is no excuse, and the landlord has no reason to give you extra time.

And no eviction can be much faster than 30 days, they will give you a 3 day pay or quit notice ( unless you already have been given one) and then file in court to have you evicted. So depending on how fast it takes the court, they can have a marshal at our door in one to two weeks, after they file in court.

They may plan on filing in court prior to the 21st, to be ready for your eviction
    sandy_bullock1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 5, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Office manager told me that they could give me till the 21st of the month, then on the 22nd I would receive a 24 hour notice and on the 23rd they would lock me out.??
    I thought eviction proceeders took 30 days or more to take place and involved marshalls removing you from the premiss. Is there something I am missing. I have lived here a year and a half, the lease was over at the end of the 1st year and I am now 5 or 6 months into my 2nd lease.

Unprofessional staff there, or a lying staff. Watch out and pay up or whether it is legal or not, you may be OUT!

I know the Eviction laws in Nevada and I rented space to others there for four years. There is no Legal 24 hour notice. They cannot legally "lock you out". The whole procedure does take almost 2 months and court dates, etc are involved.They are screwing with you; hoping you will pay and stay, but at the same time "looking for your replacement."

Have you been served by the Sheriff of Clark County with an Eviction Complaint or Notice? I doubt it. If they lock you out, you sue them!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2010, 03:57 PM

The Office Manager apparently either knows nothing about tenant law or is trying to intimidate you. As noted, there is no such thing as a 24 hr notice. If you are behind in your rent, they can serve you with a 3 day pay or quit notice. If you do not pay in full by the deadline, they must then file for an eviction order. This involves a hearing at which the order will probably be issued. How long until the hearing depends on local procedures.

They cannot lock you out, that would be an illegal eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Las Vegas marriage [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I heard that my husband got married again here in CA. We had been separated a long time and we got married in Nevada. Can he do that without divorcing me. What kind of marriage arriangement is this considered as? Reeses420

Las Vegas weather in January [ 1 Answers ]

Is it hot in las vegas in January? Is it hot enough to swim/sunbathe? Would a coat be needed during the day/night?

Las Vegas eviction procedures [ 1 Answers ]

In Las Vegas, NV does anyone know if you receive a 30-day notice, after receiving a 5-day pay or quit? Or, can they have you moved out on the 6th day if you don't pay?

View more questions Search