Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smhuff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Converting Gas water heater and heat to electric.
    I bought my home in November of last year from my grandmother... I was told everything was electric. It's not. And natural gas right now is f'n expensive. I have central air, the unit is only a couple of years old and still under warranty. What I am wondering is Can I use that same unit for the heat? Or does it have to specifically be set up or bought that way? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't have a clue about any of it? I know I will have to get a new water heater, but what about the heat? I have $4700 to spend is that going to cover it? Or am I wishful thinking?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 12:48 PM
    You will have to buy a new electric water heater since the gas unit is not convertible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 01:09 PM

Sorry, are you talking only about the hot water heater or is part of your heating system also gas
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 06:07 PM
    I`m glad HVAC100 understood the question
    smhuff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Yes my heat is natural gas... I want to convert the gas heat to electric. I have central air and the unit is only a couple of years old and still under warranty. Can I use the same unit? Or does it have to be specifically set up that way? I how

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting lp gas water heater to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to convert a lp gas water to a natural gas water heater or will I need to get a new heater?

Converting from gas to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have gas heat. Would it be more cost effective to covert to electric heat?

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and plan on installing a Solar Electrical Power system in my new home. Although I understand the Gas Heat is more efficient, if I will generating my own electrical power, I would want to consider converting my Gas heat to Electric to save on the increasing price of my Gas...

Converting from gas to electric heat. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rental property that has gas heat. I would like to convert it to electric because of the high price of gas in the VA area. On average, how costly and difficult would this be? It is a carrier heat pump.

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I'm buying a home in southern WV which is gas heated and has electric a/c. The current owners pay $123 and $35 per month respectfully on the budget plan which seems way out of kilter to me. Notwithstanding the individual user differences and that the price of electricity here is way less...

View more questions Search