Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2010, 04:51 PM
    Drain Leak in Tub
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    shelleyvogt : The leak is coming from the tub drain. I can feel it thru the access panel. I can feel it drip. How do I take out the metal round piece that goen into the tub hole? Is there a special tool? Thanks, Shelley
    Shgelly,
    You piggybacked on a dead thread and then used the Add Comments button to post a question so I'm giving you your very own thread.
    From what you said it sounds like a ruptured putty drain seal.
    This is a easy fix for the do it yourselfer.
    You will first need a tub tool,(see image). A pair of pliers with the handles down and a screwdriver for leverage works also. If you have a trip lever drain then loo down at the water drain, See the cross bares in the drain? Take 5the tub tool and turn the drain out counterclockwise.
    Now clean all the old putty from the tub and tub drain.
    Make a small rope out of Silicon Jel or Plumbers Putty and run it around the lip of the drain and screw it back inn, tightening the lip as the seal squeezes out. MAKE SURE IT'S ALL OUT AND THE DRAIN'S TIGHT!
    Clean up and enjoy a leak free rub-a-dub. Here's as little something to take in the tub Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain leak [ 4 Answers ]

The tub drain in my master bath is leaking horribly. If you plug the tub while filling/showering, there is no leak (so I know it's not a pressure leak), but as soon as you remove the plug the whole floor starts to flood, and you better have the wet vac handy! The wall at the drain in of the tub...

Shower/Tub Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically I would notice a water mark on the ceiling of my kitchen, directly over my 2nd floor bathroom. The occurrences went from every now and then to every time the bath/shower is used. The shower/tub is a solid fiberglass unit which has a high walls - no tile around the tub. My husband...

Leak in New Tub Drain Assembly [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a new bath drain kit. Upon testing there is a small leak at the connection of the brass waste shoe and the brass tee connector. In this kit a slipnut tightens a rubber washer to seal that connection. Is there anything else I can use to seal that connection? Thanks. Steve

Tub drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have tracked down a leak coming from my upstairs tub but I'm not sure what the proper way to repair it is. I'm a big DIYer but I know nothing about plumbing. Here's what I've found: I cut a peek hole in the ceiling below the tub and found that its leaking at the connection between the...

Tub Drain Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I hope my problem is a simple one... Our house was built in 1978-79, although we have only lived there for 2 1/2 years. About a month ago, water started dripping through our ceiling underneath our tub. I cut out the ceiling (that was the only option to access) and found that the leak was...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.