Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Microns 410 attn hvac1000
    I have one rep telling me to pull to 250 microns, and another telling me to pull to 50. This is a huge difference as far a time is concerned with our current vac pump. What would you say was sufficient for a vacuum. I realize 50 would be optimal, but 250 sounds reasonable, and would wear less on the pump. Not to mention time spent when 50 or so miles from town with no other jobs near by. Seems a waste to sit on my thumbs, or add extra mileage for two round trips just to pull uneeded microns. But if that is what it takes, I'm okay with it. Just want some opinions.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 04:52 PM

250 isn't resonable. You have to be below 100 because when your below 100, most of the water is out of the system. You'll probably notice that it stays at 100 for quite some time. The vapor pressure of water is 17.5 um.

Keep the lines capped before install. For tubing cap both ends when in storage.

To help get the water out purge the lines with dry nitorgen and use a heat gun to warm the lines when vacuuming.

So, use prevention first.

Use pump purge cycles second. Purge Nitrogen, pump, purge, pump. You;ll notice that each time it will pump down faster.

Use a heat gun to warm the lines.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks Kiss. So below 100 is fine. 250 is no good. Sounds fair. We do always keep out line sets sealed until install, but since they are only residential units we install, it would be hard to use a heat gun to heat the suction line, unless we stripped all inso. So ill just run the pump longer, get a good pull, or possibly upgrade to a larger pump. Appreciate the thoughts.

Ps. And I agree about the nitrogen purge. Do it on every system. Which brings me to another question. I always pressure up the system with dry nitrogen to 300 psi to check for leaks on my brazing(no bodys perfect) Does this seem a suitable charge for leak test? I then purge the system and put on the vac. I also pull schrader valves during braze, purge, and vac(yes I have the correct epuiptment to reinstall schraders without losing vac). It seems a larger pump would be the ticket here.. Any recommendations on pumps.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 06:59 PM

Know how to use the ballast on the vaccuum pump if so equipped to remove the water from the pump oil. Oil contamination also plays havoc on pumping. The oil can be outgassing with contaminants.

Purging is MUCH different than say three pump/purge cycles.

Let's pick a number. Say it takes 5 minutes to get to 400 um. Initially pump to 400 um. Add Nitogen. Vent it. Pump to 400 um. Add nitogen. Vent it. Pump to 400 um. Vent it. Do final pump.

You'll find that the system will pump down faster in the long run.

300 PSI should be fine for a leak test, although you would probably do much better using leak-up rate because you have fineer graduations on the vacuum side of the scale, Problem is - both methods take time. Leak-up rate should be an easier test.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Change oil after every use. Oil is cheap insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attn: All Dog Experts! [ 31 Answers ]

Help me crack this egg! Lol As you all know, I have a problem child. My blue APBT. Well, the saga continues... I don't want to say she is a stupid dog, because she isn't. She is very smart and has learned everything that I have taught her and for the most, has retained it. I haven't done...

Attn:HVAC1000 need input [ 3 Answers ]

I can see from your replys you know what your doing and are experienced. I did hating and cooling work back till 83. I am now trying to get back into the trade and enroled in a adult ed. School. I have to say it was a waste of $5000.00. All I really got out of it was an EPA certificate. ...

ATTN: Guitar Pickers [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a new Fender Highway One Telecaster-upgrade. IT IS SMOKIN! Go try one. American made and only $750.00 bucks. Has a wide range for Jazz, Rock, country and the overwound pickups scream on a Marshall with overdrive. This is a sweet Tele for the price. Anyone that has tried on let me...

Microns to meters [ 3 Answers ]

A human hair has a thickness of about 70 m(the one that is slightly bent and thin) m----what is this in (a) meters and (b) kilometers? How would I go about this?

View more questions Search