Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bizgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Is per diem considered taxable income.
    I am an independent contractor that gets a flat rate daily rate when I provide services, plus my client will pay my travel costs above and beyond the daily rate. Is my daily per diem taxable income.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 12:07 PM

Its been a long time since I got per diem, but I seem to remember it is taxible income. And that it can be adjusted downward by real, documented and IRS acceptable reciepts for actual expenses. But its been over a decade and rules may have changed.
    soho1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 07:49 PM

Collecting per diem is income to you whether you spent anything or not, so yes, it should be taxable. Of course, as smoothy points out, your IRS approved "reasonable" expenses reduce your net taxable income, assuming you can itemize and document them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable? [ 18 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if per diem is taxable? My brother took a job this past year and half his salary is per diem, as he travels daily. He receives a monthly expense allotment for which he submits receipts. His per diem is for meals and accommodations only. Of course, he has asked me to...

When does Per Diem become taxable? [ 3 Answers ]

When does Per Diem become taxable to a contractor? I have told it is after one year but I cannot find anywhere on the IRS web-site or in any publications.

H1-B fees (legal, filing, premium, etc) considered taxable income to the employee [ 6 Answers ]

My employer recently sent me an email saying "It has recently come to our attention that immigration legal fees paid by the employer are considered taxable income to the employee. Generally speaking, the IRS considers immigration fees paid by an employer as a taxable fringe benefit to the...

Is per diem taxable in any form? [ 2 Answers ]

Found on the web the meals are not and neither is the lodging. However we require a receipt for lodging to verify the cost was incurred. Our per diem is separate for lodging and meals. If the lodging receipt is for $60.00 and the lodging per diem is $80.00 do we tax the $20.00 extra paid to the...

Taxable or non-table per diem [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, now I'm a little confused. Here is my scenario. My brother is an oil field worker who is paid hourly. He works seven days on and seven days off. He is paid a flat rate of $75.00 per diem only on the days he works (and does not have to provide receipts). His pay stub lists the per diem...

View more questions Search