Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikes2520 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 11:34 PM
    Grounding in a cutler hammer panel
    I want to add a circuit to a CH breaker box. None of the branch wires currently in place have a ground. The new one will be outside and I wish to use a GFI outlet. How do I ground the outlet?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 04:25 AM
    Does the panel have the Main Breaker in it?
    mchepp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Im not an electrician but I have worked in the field for several years.. . My recommendation is run a new 12-2 romex with ground to your outside box for your GFI. Tie in your neutral,hot, ground, in the appropriate spots on your panel. Make sure your CH style box is grounded properly per local codes. Hook up the romex on the line side of the GFI plug. Again, Im not an electrician so double check with a local electrical contractor or a contractor on this website.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 06:36 AM
    This advice is too vague,

Quote Originally Posted by mchepp View Post
    Tie in your neutral,hot, ground, in the appropriate spots on your panel.
    If the original poster had answered my question, we could have then determined where the approriate spots to connect the ground would have been.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sub Panel Grounding [ 13 Answers ]

How about if there are only 3 wires in a conduit. Can it be used only as 110v and take one of the hot wires, wrap it with green tape and use it as the equipment ground? An inspector also told me if the panel is in a separate detached building, a ground rod could be used and then you would treat...

Can culter hammer breakers be used in a GE panel or is this against code? [ 3 Answers ]

Can culter hammer breakers be used in a GE panel or must GE breakers be installed? I was told installing CH breakers in a GE panel is against code?

Grounding my Service Panel [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 100amp Service Panel which seems adequate for my small 1500 sq' house. I got a quote for a new 200amp panel installed for $2700 so think I'll wait until I expand the house. However, I am converting my plumbing to plastic supply lines and will not have metal to attach the ground to except...

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

Cutler Hammer vs GE, for new 200amp service? [ 9 Answers ]

My GE box is full and I got a quote for a new 200AMP service box, new weather head and line down the house (about 70 feet),a 40 circuit 200 amp panel, ground and bonding all would be new, etc. Price comes in close to a $1000, the company uses Cutler Hammer boxes, but can get me a GE box for an...

View more questions Search