Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstrange Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 04:06 PM
    3-phase vs single phase power usage
    My currnet a/c is on 3-phase and I'm going to replace it. I want to get a 5 ton 16 SEER ($1500 gov't rebate)but they are available in only single phase. I'm wondering if it will cost significantly more to run a new 16 SEER unit on single phase than a new 13 SEER on 3-phase.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 05:12 PM

Cost in terms of operation, no. 5HP single phase is also 5 HP 3 phase.

SEER takes into account the conversion of electrical energy to cooling, meaning power to cool.

Installation of 3 phase is mixed. Wire costs less. Breakers have to be larger for single phase and smaller, but with an extra one for 3 phase. The conduit may or may not have to be re-sized. Wires would have to be larger.

3 phase power loss protection is usually added.

Three phase is much more reliable. There is also less power spiking.

A 3 phase motor is usually more efficient, but your considering the system.

A 3 phase power has better starting torque.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 04:36 PM

If yo were comparing HP to HP on single and 3 phase, the 3 phase system would be more efficient and cost less to run.

Since your comparing SEER, efficiencies of the various parts are taken into account.

The real difference is that 3 phase is more reliable and may or may not cost more to install.

We don't get notified with Agree/disagrees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single phase vs. 3 phase power - what makes 3 phase more efficient? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is it that makes 3 phase power more efficient? Suppose I need an air compressor for a printing shop and I can choose between a 7.5HP single phase and a 7.5HP 3 phase. Ignoring that the cost of the motor is a little less for 3 phase, why is the motor more efficient and how does...

Single Phase Power Vs Three Phase Power [ 4 Answers ]

What is the differencve between single phase power and three phase power?

Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am new this community... You are doing great job of knowledge transfer... My question: Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply? Please clear my doubt... :confused:

Option of 3 phase or single phase power, [ 2 Answers ]

How would one decide on which to use either 3 phase or single phase power to heat an airplane hanger?

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

View more questions Search