Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Jun 29, 2010, 10:32 PM
    Carees with good earnings.
    Hi everyone.
    I am still fitting myself into the system in the US.
    I understand that in choosing a career,you have to take so many things into consideration.It is not just about doing what you like,but also what would help you pay your bills at the end of the day.Something that would be in demand by the time one is done with school.
    I just would like you all to chip in some advice and tell me some of the careers with good pay checks.But before doing so,these are my limitations:
    *Nothing to do with medicine
    *Nothing to do with too much physical exercise such as heavy lifting
    *It should not be something that would profit me ONLY after many years of being in the field.

Okay... now over to you.
    Thanks.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 PM
    Hi, Violaename!

What sort of education, job experience, training and skills do you already have and might have in the near future, please?

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 11:49 PM

In the U.S. the population is aging and will continue to do so until about 2040 or so. Here's one site that lists jobs that should be increasing in value and worth during that time --

Top Jobs For The Future, by CareerPlanner.com

I know from personal experience that lots of people have problems -- problems that can be solved fairly easily and also life problems. I don't know if you consider that in the medical field, but being a counselor/social worker/psychologist would be a profitable career. There are many applications for them and also many venues in which those jobs can be performed -- schools, hospitals, nursing homes, private/group practice, consulting work. John Gray is a psychologist and happened upon a formula that sold millions of books that he wrote, the Mars-Venus dichotomy. Dr. Phil was an ordinary psychologist in Texas and now has his own TV show. Reiki and other spiritual/mental types of healing are popular right now and don't demand a college education, but just special training. That might be something to think about. If you like math and statistics, good actuaries are always in demand and are well paid.

Do any of these sound intriguing?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 12:02 AM
    I would just like to add, that I do a number of different things in order to earn a living for myself, Violaename.

Because of the nature of them, some of them compliment each other in such a way as to allow me to continually be expanding on them.

If you'd like to know what they are, please let me know on this thread.

I do realize that what I do for a living might not be anything in which you're interested in pursuing. However, knowing how different types of professions compliment each other might be something in which you're interested.

Thanks!
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Jun 30, 2010, 08:54 AM

Thank so so much everyone.
    @ Clough-Back in my country,I was doing marketing,advertising and PR programme.But when I got here,I was made to understand that Marketing would only profit me if I have to study maybe till the highest level.I kind of bought it because my aunt did marketing and is finding it so hard to get a job...
    I am just about choosing what I will study in school.

If I had it as an option just to do what I like,then I am the free spirited kind of person-fashion designing,interior decoration,cosmetology,air hostessing-But all these desires are meant for fairy tales.I am in the real world now.I can only do the things I really love after finding one that would help me financially strong.
    I already have accounting as an option... but I just want to keep other ideas coming-one never knows.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Violaename View Post
    I already have accounting as an option...but I just want to keep other ideas coming-one never knows.
    As far as abilities and careers meshing and working well together, I was a teacher and then began working in libraries and earned a degree in psychology. All of those things worked well together. At the library I became the teacher of new database systems to the staff and various library jobs to volunteers and new employees, I became a department head because I am patient and organized and like detail, and I used my psych degree as I dealt with staff and patrons. I was a cataloger for 15 years partly because I love numbers and know how to use them.

You can do something similar in your life. If you too like working with numbers, the accounting can move into working for an insurance company as an actuary. You might need more training, or maybe your education and skills will be adequate. So, think of your skills/abilities and how they can apply to various careers that interest you. You don't have to be in one position forever, but, like me, can move around as opportunities open up and as you gain experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple-step income statement in good form and retained earnings statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like someone to check to see if I did this correctly, if I did not then please help. Thanks The Problem is: The following pretax amounts pertain to River Corp. for the year ended December 31, 2008. Sales... $400,000 Operating Expenses... 84,000 Extraordinary gain... 30,000...

Studying languages,is there any good carees for that? [ 6 Answers ]

I just finished high school,and I don't want to go to college,but what I want to do is learn languages,I already know three,and wanted to add to them some more.but,my parents are telling me that without a college degree or omething,I will have slim chances in getting a job.what do you advice...

Calculating net earnings and preparing statement of retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

I just started my introduction to accounting class in university and I am a little stuck on this question because we didn't really go over this is class... please help! Here is the information given: Sea Surf Campground is a public camping ground in Ocean National Park. It has the following...

How to file with no 1099 and NO good guess at earnings? [ 1 Answers ]

Didn't see this asked anywhere yet so forgive if repeating! My son works as an IC for a moving company which will pay a "crew leader" who then pays his helpers. Son was a helper in 2007 so has no check stubs; can only guess at what he made but knows it is over $600. Don't even know if they did...

View more questions Search