Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boshon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Probation officer
    Can my brother change his prbation officer in the state of va if he went to high school w/ her ( they hated one another in school)?? :confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 02:49 PM
    One can always ask for a different probation officer. But you have to understand that probation officers are overworked as they are, some with caseloads of 60 or more. I would not get my hopes up too high on that request. How long ago was high school? People mature and grow past many feelings that they had in high school. Also the probation officer should be trained to remain ethical, unprejudiced, and fair in all dealings. It may well be more your brother's issue here - and he is not in the best place to create problems.
    boshon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 02:51 PM
    The thing is she has made numerous statements that clearly prove that she is still holding onto the negative feelings such as "uh-huh , you picked on me in high school, now it's my turn" Thanks for the info. I will relay it to him
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Probation officers often give others a lot of grief, this may be a way she does for him.

You can request a change to the department because of a conflict of interest, but then you will be getting a probation officer that knows you asked for a new one, will go talk to the other probation officer to find out all about him, and then may in all reality be a lot worst on him than the first one. ( just a thought from knowing about them)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Has that probation actually said to your brother "uh-huh , you picked on me in high school, now it's my turn". Or is this a vibration your brother has picked up?

Either way, as Father Chuck stated, your brother can ask for a new PO but word does get around - it is not that small of a circle. Your brother can best keep his own feelings to himself and try to do the best he can with the time he has, making sure that he does everything required.

PO's are known for "busting chops" - I sure would not want their thankless job.
    Ex-convicts are known for concealing whereabouts, playing games with details, etc. I used to have an instructor whose favorite line was "ya pays a nickel, ya takes your chances". Tell your brother to buck up. If he keeps himself clean and clear of trouble, why should he worry?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Hello bosh:

Have him write a letter to the chief probation officer, and tell him exactly what you told us here. Send it certified, return receipt requested. Of course, keep a copy.

They should grant the request. If they don't, at least he has documentation in the file that she has it out for him. Upon seeing that letter, a judge will have a hard time violating him, based upon her word only.

excon
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
    I had to spread it but yes, that is exactly what I would do. It's pretty much all you can do short of hiring an attorney and filing a motion to see the judge.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 03:49 PM
    He may be able to. He'd have to petition the court and explain to the judge that there had once been a personal relationship between them and an adverse one at that. The judge may then see fit to reassign his probation officer.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boshon
    The thing is she has made numerous statements that clearly prove that she is still holding onto the negative feelings such as "uh-huh , you picked on me in high school, now it's my turn" Thanks for the info. I will relay it to him
    He should report this immediately to her supervisor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DUI and assault on an officer [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged last night with a DUI and assault on an officer. My license is susspended in quebec but not in ontario. Am I in deep or what? It's a first time offence and I have a clean record intill now. I'm hiring a lawyer on Monday and going to see what happens from there. Any help is appriciated

Probation Officer dilemma [ 13 Answers ]

My 19-year-old son is currently on probation. He is living at home with his father and I, and we are trying to give him encouragement and support in order to comply with the regulations set forth by the court. When he was arrested (he stole a 4-wheeler) we decided the best thing for him was to...

Phoney NYPD Officer [ 6 Answers ]

I know a guy who claims to have been an undercover narcotics officer for the NYPD. Many if his stories, are there are quite a few, don't add up. How do I find out if he is lying about being "on the job"?

Probation Officer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all: There's a retired probation officer with the handle magprob. He's trying to hawk a book here. I don't know how much he's trying to sell it for, but don't buy it! He offers a free chapter. I read it. Of course, if YOU ARE a probation officer, then it might help you keeping your...

View more questions Search