Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sriavadhoot Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Bug identifying
    Trying to identifying a bug that has a conical-shaped body. At the head, are two fairly long antennae. The rear of the bug is pointed. The body has grooves width-wise, like stripes; and the insect is charcoal gray.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 04:01 PM

I'll try to help, but I need some more information.

First, since this is an international site, what part of the world does the bug reside in?

Second, how many body segments are visible?

Third, since you said it is an insect I'll have to assume six legs.

My first guess would be a beetle of some type, but that only narrows the field.

If you could post a picture or a link to one it would help immeasurably.

Jun 30, 2010, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    I'll try to help, but I need some more information.

First, since this is an international site, what part of the world does the bug reside in?

Second, how many body segments are visible?

Third, since you said it is an insect I'll have to assume six legs.

My first guess would be a beetle of some type, but that only narrows the field.

If you could post a picture or a link to one it would help immeasurably.
    Midwest United States, Chicago, IL. Six segments are visible, plus end segment and antennae. Legs are not visible, maybe underneath, as assumed. Unfortunately, do not have active drawing art. Unable to locate picture anywhere. Body is size of end nail, fingernail-length. Width is just over 3 mm at widest part. Basically, the same width, slightly wider in center, giving it a conical shape.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 30, 2010, 12:07 PM

Does it look anything like this one, then?
    Name:  caterpillar.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  4.7 KB

Jul 1, 2010, 06:47 AM
    Comment on sriavadhoot's post
    Midwest United States, Chicago, IL. Six segments are visible, plus end segment and antennae. Legs are not visible, maybe underneath, as assumed. Unfortunately, do not have active drawing art. Unable to locate picture anywhere. Body is size of end nai

Jul 1, 2010, 06:47 AM
    Comment on Catsmine's post
    Only 3 mm x 6 mm
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 02:05 PM
    Perhaps a young millipede nymph.

Name:  pill millipede.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  2.7 KB
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jul 2, 2010, 05:20 PM

The picture sure looks a lot like what is sometimes called a "pill bug" or "rollypolly" because they can curl up in a ball for protection. Not really a millipede, but probably related to some degree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is this bug? [ 2 Answers ]

What is this bugs, its all over my house, lots of them.It has thoasand legs, ihave a pic, but it will not copy to this message.my email is <email removed> I just moved her and I've never seen this bug before, I don't no if it bites, thank you.

What is this bug? [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry to ask another bug question, but ever since we moved, our backyard has become a bug museum. Anyone know what kind of bug this is? It was the size of my thumb and was crawling across my patio after the rainfall.

What is this bug? [ 6 Answers ]

Catsmine, hello I have not talked with you in some time but alas I have another question? I am still dealing with the same problem and came to conclusion that it is morgellons. I am still in process of educating myself with this disease though and I am seeing bugs again. What looks just like an ant...

What's this bug? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Yesterday I Got This In My Garden. Iam From India, Mumbia

Is this a bug? [ 1 Answers ]

While installing fairy lights into our Kitchen strip-light last night, my housemate (an electrician) was baffled after removing the metal base; he found a strange device connected to the live feed by two black wires. He cut it out with no adverse effects on the light function. We've lived in this...

View more questions Search