Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ganou Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
    94 camry ECM code no.1 crank no start
    Hi,

Check report:
    According to repair manual, checked ECM code, but read diagnosis code is No.1(means normal).
    Condition:
    1.Battery voltage is above 11v.(done, new battery)
    2.The throttle is fully closed.(no done. I did not know how to close it)
    3.Transaxle is in Neutral.(done)

Phenomena:
    The CHECK ENGINE light was blinking once every 0.25 seconds.The code is No.1.
    The O/D OFF light was also blinking once every 0.25 seconds. This does not
    Mention on the manual.

It is said that the car can not start if anti-theft
    System activates. My driver side key has problem. Does it relate to the anti-theft system? My car has power door.
    Did the condition 2 affect the code?

It is weird. Please help me analyze.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ganou
    Hi,

check report:
    According to repair manual, checked ECM code, but read diagnosis code is No.1(means normal).
    condition:
    1.Battery voltage is above 11v.(done, new battery)
    2.The throttle is fully closed.(no done. I did not know how to close it)
    3.Transaxle is in Neutral.(done)

phenomena:
    The CHECK ENGINE light was blinking once every 0.25 seconds.The code is No.1.
    The O/D OFF light was also blinking once every 0.25 seconds. This does not
    mention on the manual.

it is said that the car can not start if anti-theft
    system activates. My driver side key has problem. Does it relate to the anti-theft system? my car has power door.
    Did the condition 2 affect the code?

It is weird. Please help me analyze.
    You have no trouble codes. (DTC's) As for closed throttle position, as long as the ECM sees the closed throttle position from the TPS (throttle pos sensor), all is normal. You can't see it unless you had a scan tool in your hand, but the '94 doesn't have OBD2. So let's move on.
    THE most likely cause of your no start is the ignition coil inside your dist. It may have spark at the plug, but not enough. That's of course if we're talking about the 3SFE 4 cyl. Model. If you have a V6, then we'll talk later.
    One word of caution. Buy the coil from Toyota. Aftermarket coils cause us pro's many pains. Also, treat your car to a new set of wires, cap, rotor, and plugs while you're in there.
    Good luck. JK. Toyota Master Tech.

Dec 16, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Thanks,
    I want to support some information about the car, perhaps those will help to diagnostic the problem.
    1. crank-no-start happened on Monday .12-4-2006
    2. The Saturday before the problem happening, for it was cold I want to heat the car. I used the key to lock the door, but I failed. Because I did not know the car can not lock when the key is in the ignition switch. Although the engine was running, when I turned the key I still heard the start sound. From then on the driver side door keyhole was destroyed. The key can not insert to the keyhole's bottom and can not turn the key. I have to come the car from the other side door.
    3. Several days before the car can not start, when I parked and opened the door I always smell a special scent. That did not come from the car inside. I opened the hood, but I could not find where it came from.
    4.After I turned the ignition switch, I can smell a gas now. Does it mean something?
    5. My car is 4 cyl. Model.
    6.Is there camry's ignition coil selling in the other auto parts store, such as autozone.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2006, 10:11 AM
    As far as the drivers door lock goes, that's a separate issue for a no start. You have a mechanical failure. Now, you mention smelling gas while cranking the engine over. If this is the case, then it sounds like the timing belt has either broken or slipped off the cam sproket. This will cause the injectors to still spray but the timing for fire is off causing a misfire. The raw gas smell comes out the tail pipe or any exhaust leaks in the system.
    You can check for slipped timing by removing the dist cap which you were going to do anyway to check the ign coil. Set the crank timing mark to zero by turning the crank pully by hand with a 19mm socket or wrench, then look at your rotor position. It should point to #1 or #4 (marked on the cap). If it's not pointing correctly, then you need a new timing belt. I recommend a repair shop on that one. While you have the dist cap off, carfully remove the rotor, and the protective cap over the coil and look at it for any cracks in the coil face or any burn spots near the dist shaft. Also, while the cap is off the dist, have someone crank the engine over and you watch the dist shaft to see if it's turning. If it doesn't, then this is a classic case of a broken timing belt. I highly recommend ONLY Toyota parts!! Period! Good luck. JK.

Dec 20, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Thanks all,

Found the problem and solved it.

The problem was in the secondary of the distributor coil, its resistance bellowed the requirement shown in the maintain manual. The primary was fine.
    Beside the coil, I also changed the distributor cap and rotor. They were apparently corroded.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OBD code P0335 (crank position A circuit malfunction) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having problems with a 1.8 nissan primera (petrol) engine light is on OBD returned this fault. Has had crank sensor replaced which improved things slightly, but it's still not 100% and engine light is still on. The nissan dealer cleared the code memory and re-checked the OBD. Same...

Occasional won't start 1995 Camry [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter (college) has a 1995 Camry that occasionally won't start after she stops to get gas. Long stops or starting after long sitting is not a problem. I have asked her to notice if there are any clicking noises from under the hood. She says no. I have asked her to shift the (Automatic trans)...

Car does not crank [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2001 Toyota Corolla. When I turn on the ignition switch the engine does not crank but there is a rapid crik, crik, crik,. sound coming from the hood. I tried to jump start and the same rapid crik, crik, crik,. sound coming from the hood. It sounds like there is some problem with the...

91 Civic no start/Trouble code 15 [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, Things that have been changed out with new parts, the Main Relay, The complete Distributor. Fuel pump and all of the Fuses Grounds and wireing has been checked. I am getting a trouble code 15 indicitave of a no signal from Distributor. All of the wiring seems fine, have any of you run into...

View more questions Search