Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses-
    Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd.

My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there
    Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since
    I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not
    Apply, but company promissed they'll support me last year when I was hired July 2005,
    , so my employerdid hold my position for almost 4 months).

I had to pay my flight fee to go back to Japan, and had to pay
    My lawer fee. Also, I have to leave my apartment in June, and
    Had to pay storage fee, and I paid moving fee when I came back to the U.S.

I am wondering if I can claim the expense I had to pay as above.
    Do you think I can claim those? Is it worth to claim?

Also,

The 4 months I was not working with my employers will make some differences
    On applying Tax Return this year?

I appreciate if you could answer my questions.
    Thank you very much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Kokia:

You should be able to claim the moving expenses moving from Japan back to the U.S. as that is clearly a move for job purposes. However, you muts hold the job for at least 39 weeks after the move. You can also claim the storage fee.

The move back to Japan will NOT be deductible.

You can file either a non-resident tax return (Form 1040NR) or a dual-status return. I see no advantage to filing dual-status as it is a more complicated return that will probably generate the same amount of taxes due. The only exception to that rule is if you are married. If you are married and your spouse is NOT with you, then filing dual-status makes sense because you can then claim your spouse as a dependent under the provisions of the OLD tax treaty with Japan.

If you are married and your spouse IS with you on an H-4 visa, then you should both consider filing as a resident alien. That allows you to claim your spouse's personal exemption plus a DOUBLE standard deduction ($5,150 X 2) of $10,300.

The lawyer's fees can probably be deducted as an employee business expense as an itemized deduction if you file as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR). You will NOT be able to claim the standard deduction on Form 1040NR, so this deduction (plus whatever state and local income taxes are withheld from your salary) will be deductible as itemized deductions. Other employee business expenses MAY be deductible as well.

I assume you entered the U.S. prior to 2005, which means the OLD tax treaty with Japan still applies to you. If so, up to $2,000 of the income earned while on OPT is exempt from federal income taxes under Article 20(1) of the old tax treaty. You can claim this exemption only if you file as a non-resident alien or if you file a dual-status return. The $2,000 exemption will NOT apply if you file as a resident alien with your spouse.

You will have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes, but, unlike most other resident aliens, your Social Security taxes will be credited to Japan's social security system under your name under provisions of the Japan-U.S. Tax Treaty.

That about it for now. If you want to discuss these issues further, please contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

Federal Tax for H1B holder in the first 3 years [ 3 Answers ]

I heard there will be no federal tax for H1B holders for the first 3 years. Is it true?

How should a h1-b holder file tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005. How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use? I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006. Thank you very much.

Tax for H1B holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got an postdoctoral fellow offer under H1B visa from one university in US. If I hold Singapore passport, do I need to pay tax? How about china possport? Thanks.

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search