Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djn002 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Changing jobs, relocating to a different state. Need advice on the interview process
    Hello, this is my situation. I live in NYC but my fiancé lives in PA. I work here in NY, and go visit her on the weekends or every other weekend. But it's a to a point where I can't be without her anymore. I miss her too much, and am no longer happy here in NY. The only time I'm ever happy is when I'm with her.

Ive wanted to move in with her for the past few months, but finding a job there has been hard. I work in the TV/Film business, and obviously, NY is the place to be for that, and jobs of that nature are very limited in PA. She works for the educational system over there in PA, so I decided to apply for a job in the same system. Now, even before my job here in TV, I've always wanted to work with kids/students in some capacity, but never pursued it due to the job I have now. But, since it's a career changing option that would allow for us to be together, I considered it, and am quite frankly, hoping I get the job, because I think it would be fun.

They've asked me to come in for an interview, so my question is, when they ask me why I wanted to relocate from NY to PA, what do I say? I don't want to say "Im moving in with my fiance" because I don't want them to think "oh well, hes just here to work ANY job just to be close to his girl, and he may not be in this wholeheartedly" and then not have them consider me for the job. What would be a good reason to give them as to why I'm relocating, even though moving in is the reason, but wanting to work with kids is something I've always wanted to do. Should I keep it vague? Should I say "Moving to be closer to family?" What would be a good thing to say, that would sound professional?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 10:14 AM

You're tired of big city life and yearn for the beauty and serenity of nearby PA (but you can still go into NYC for shows, dinner, etc.)?

While you're young enough, you want to start following some dreams including teaching/working with kids? Other dreams might be owning property on which you have animals -- goats, horses, dogs, cats, a cow or two, a big garden -- getting back to the simple life that this economy is causing more people to do.

You need more?

(Where in PA?)

Jun 29, 2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the advice. In lancaster, PA.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 10:25 AM

Are you applying for a specific job? If so, what, may I ask?

Jun 29, 2010, 10:40 AM

Applying to be a job trainer, or paraeducator at the IU13 in lancaster.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 11:24 AM

That sounds like a fun--and challenging--job! Let me know if you need help with your resume or anything else interview-related.

Jun 29, 2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Changing jobs, relocating to a different state. Need advice on the interview process?
    Hello, this is my situation. I live in NYC but my fiancé lives in PA. I work here in NY, and go visit her on the weekends or every other weekend. But it's a to a point where I can't be without her anymore. I miss her too much, and am no longer happy here in NY. The only time I'm ever happy is when I'm with her.

Ive wanted to move in with her for the past few months, but finding a job there has been hard. I work in the TV/Film business, and obviously, NY is the place to be for that, and jobs of that nature are very limited in PA. She works for the educational system over there in PA, so I decided to apply for a job in the same system. Now, even before my job here in TV, I've always wanted to work with kids/students in some capacity, but never pursued it due to the job I have now. But, since it's a career changing option that would allow for us to be together, I considered it, and am quite frankly, hoping I get the job, because I think it would be fun.

They've asked me to come in for an interview, so my question is, when they ask me why I wanted to relocate from NY to PA, what do I say? I don't want to say "Im moving in with my fiance" because I don't want them to think "oh well, hes just here to work ANY job just to be close to his girl, and he may not be in this wholeheartedly" and then not have them consider me for the job. What would be a good reason to give them as to why I'm relocating, even though moving in is the reason, but wanting to work with kids is something I've always wanted to do. Should I keep it vague? Should I say "Moving to be closer to family?" What would be a good thing to say, that would sound professional?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Hi, djn002!

Why post the same question in two different forum topic areas? You won't get any different opinions by doing that.

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2010, 01:03 PM

Was that really necessary to say? And maybe different people are looking in different forums. Thanks!
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jul 2, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Now, now, don't get testy djn.

In fact, it is pretty darn common to have young folks move to be with someone they love. In any interview be honest. Just don't go into the whole, "I can't live without her" thing. After you made it clear that you think she is the "one" and therefore you are in for the long haul, discuss the other reasons you name - that you think a job such as you are looking for would be challenging and fun.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Validity of a will when relocating to another state [ 2 Answers ]

I had a will drawn up a few years ago while living in Oregon. I recently relocated to Washington state. Is it necessary to update the will because of the move? Thanks, Lloyd

Need some ideas on interview questions using the buyer decision process [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me to come up with some interview questions for my marketing class. I have to find two people the made a purchase for the same type of service or product using the buyer decision process.

Relocating out of state [ 1 Answers ]

What are some tips for relocating and buying a home in a different state? I already know things like schools, climate, jobs etc (have family there that I visit frequently). I am wondering more about things like 1. What lenders will be looking at and, 2. What the process entails and where the...

Two Jobs Under one recruiter or sponsor of under process H-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on OPT but my H-1 has been filed on 2nd April,07 by my recruiter. I'm working in an engineering company and paid as H-1 min wages. I see other part time jobs too and those are related to somewhat my field but they are tech jobs and quite less paid . Despite the wages fact, Can I do the 2...

Relocating, building a house in different state [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My family will be relocating within 6 months. In 2006, we traveled to NC few times and we signed the contract to build the house (we paid required $5,000). The construction started Jan 2007. Will we be eligible for travel expense deduction when filing 2006 income taxes even though we...

View more questions Search