Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kumarpankaj78 Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 06:55 AM
    How to remove win 7 and install win xp
    I have a hp laptop with win 7. I want to remove win7 and install win xp. I tried booting form my xp cd but it shows no disk and have to abort installation. I don't want dual booting but just xp. So help me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 07:17 AM
    You need a valid Microsoft XP CD and you need to boot from it. Your "no disk" error, does it refer to your hard drive?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2010, 07:48 AM

If this laptop came with Win 7 I would NOT recommend downgrading. It is very likely there aren't drivers for all your hardware under XP. Why would you want to do this anyway?
    kumarpankaj78 Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 09:13 PM

The laptop came with vista pre-installed. I upgraded to win 7, but as some of my softwares doesn't support vista or win 7 therefore I want to downgrade to xp
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2010, 03:18 AM
    Upgrade to Win 7 premium which has legacy support for XP. If you still want to downgrade, first check to make sure there are XP drivers for your hardware. It sounds like your optical drive may not be supported.
    soho1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
    All good answers, but none mentioned that Windows 7 preventds downgrade when you try to go back to install XP. So, you will have to wipe the drive first. You better have a complete XP installation CD in hand first, and a verified backup (or two) of all your files before starting.
    Jaymzkerten Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Jul 4, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Actually the most important thing to do is what ScottGem said. If the laptop came with vista loaded on it, you would want to check the manufacturer's site first to make sure that there are drivers for XP available on their site, otherwise the laptop will have extremely limited functionality when you load XP on it.
    soho1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 06:13 PM

Agreed, upgrading and downgrading machines can be a real problem. While I like HP reliability, my experience has been that it is difficult to change operating systems with HP, due to lack of driver support. This of course, may be part of their hardware sales strategy. I used to buy buy a lot of HP equipment, but now, I just buy what's on sale at Best Buy. That may sound crazy, but if the manufacturers are going to treat computers as disposable, then so will I, and have no brand loyalty in the process. At least with Best Buy, if something goes wrong in my warranty period, they have replaced equipment with "equivalents" or better.

Lastly, I find that Windows 7 seems to do a pretty good job of running XP applications in compatibility mode. Sometimes the setup though is not obvious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seek philanthropist to assist with private financing. Win win situation [ 3 Answers ]

I seek a private philanthropist to assist me for real estate investing. I have prior experience. I seek a win win situation. I have perfect credit and live in a great part of USA.

Win XP SP3 won't Install [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble installing SP3 for Win XP Pro. I can download it and it starts to install, about 3/4 of the way through, it says it has to abort and goes through a uninstall. I have tried with no success about 3 times. I have closed all running programs, antivirus, networking, internet, anti...

How to format a hd and install a fresh copy of win xp on it [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I have 3 partitions on my PC C: D: E:! My windows xp pro are installed on c:! The other two partitions are formated and empty! I want to format c: and install a fresh copy of win xp pro on it! I reinstalled xp on it but the hd was not formated! When I installed the new windows copy, it didn't...

Install win xp pro from hdd [ 7 Answers ]

How to install WIN XP PRO from HDD?

Can't format HD to install win xp [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I have a WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB 7200 8MB CACHE HARD DRIVE. I had win xp pro on it but I deleted using the WIn xp cd it because I want to install it again. Right now I have no OS. I have only one big partition of the whole HD ( Also I saw that it said besides the "C" NEW and RAW. When I am...

View more questions Search