Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 05:25 AM
    How can I tell if a credit card number is a "real" VISA/MC or a card Check?Debit Card
    Is there any way to tell based on the account number?
    Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2010, 05:37 AM

Each card issuer has a block of numbers, so usually the first 8 are the same for all cards they issue. But the only real way to verify is use a card checking service. You can subscribe to one by contacting Visa and Master Card etc. That's how on line orders work. When you submit your card its matched against a database.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:01 AM
    I do have merchant accounts. The reason for asking is that I am filing for judgment against a former tenant who, in the past, paid by credit card. If the credit card number is attached to a bank account, then I'd pursue an attachment of that account. If the credit card number is to a "normal" Visa or MasterCard, then I know that I cannot "attach" it.

So are you saying that a "card checking service" can tell me whether the Visa or MasterCard credit card number that I have is a) a "normal" credit card, or b) a Check/Debit Card?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:15 AM

Hello Rick:

Even IF the card checking service can tell you if it's a debit card, they won't identify the bank or account number.

However, the card itself should name the bank that issued it. Did you photocopy the card? I doubt you'll have to name the specific account number in order to seize it. Just saying the account is located in such and such bank SHOULD be enough to levy upon it.

If this post was in the real estate forum, I'd admonish you for not having every scrap of financial information about your tenants. But, it isn't, so I won't.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old credit card debit [ 6 Answers ]

Around 16 years ago, I needed to leave the country to settle a situation overseas, and I needed cash to do so. Thus I had withdrawn money from my credit card and I was not able to pay it. Also, I did not inform the credit card company of the overseas address, so they were not able to locate me. ...

Credit card debit and out of the country [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I've been contemplating defaulting on my credit card loans as I simply do not have the means to pay them. Another thing I that I am no longer living in the US, and do not know when I would be visiting next. However the credit cards that I had back when I was in the US and in school are...

Credit card debit [ 4 Answers ]

Have a chase credit card I am unable to pay minimum and at this time they are not will to set a budget payment plan with me... my concern is that chase now has bought out or taken over the bank I have my checking with and I am concerned that my definency will be taken without my consent from my...

Credit card debit [ 3 Answers ]

Can credit card companies place a lien on a home for debit owed to them?

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

View more questions Search