Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jun 28, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Drywall Paper/Metal Outside corner bead...
    OK, not sure I did this correctly...

I have an outside drywall corner, I bought those metal/paper beads - thought it might come out nicer :)

I looked up online and it seemed to say that you nail it in and apply the mud. So I did it... now, where the paper part is, its rippled, like wet paper dries.

Now what? Should I have put the mud on first then applied the corner and mud again? I'd rather not have to pull it off and start over. Should I just mud again?

Thanks!
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jun 28, 2010, 10:28 AM

Well, I'm sure now I did it wrong. I gave a little tub on the corner and it popped off lol

I added mud behind and re-stuck it. Hopefully that will work :)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2010, 04:40 PM

The paper tape with metal in it is usually used on outside corners that are not 90 degrees. It can be used on 90 degree corners. Would be easier to use corner bead.

To apply paper w/metal, u have to first apply mud to both sides of corner. Fold paper at seam in middle of paper with metal to the inside. Push into mud and starting in middle using a 6'' taping knife, press paper into mud holding knife at 45 degrees.This u will do on both sides. Do the top half the same way.

Put a coat of compound over both sides.After dry, sand or sponge to smooth. Compound again. May need 2 or 3 core coats.

If u use metal corner bead, install with screws or nails. The bead will give u an edge to compound to. 2 coats should be enough.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing corner bead [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. What's the best way to install corner beads for drywall jobs? I'm seeing more people prefer nails. If I am going to use nails, which type should I get and what length? I installed half inch drywall. Thanks.

Paper-metal corner beads [ 4 Answers ]

I have plaster-lath walls in my home. Can I use paper-metal corner beads for the (inside) corners, if so how do I apply them? I'm pretty sure with a nail through the metal right... Thanks for everyone's help again!

Corner Bead [ 4 Answers ]

What type of corner bead would you recommend and why(metal, plastic, glue type)? Thanks, Gregg

Tiling corner bead [ 2 Answers ]

I have green board on the bathroom walls, and durarock on the floor and the entire shower. This is a new bathroom I am building. My question was should I put the paper corner bead on the corners which have durarock. These corners are the sides of my shower where my doors are going. If I use corner...

Tiling corner bead [ 2 Answers ]

I have new durarock and green board on my walls and floor on the outside corners should I put corner bead and mud before tiling or should I use thinset

View more questions Search