Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matthys1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 06:12 PM
    Mercury 50hp 2 stroke waterpump or overheating problem
    50Hp Mecury 2Stroke outboard after six months back in the water. After driving for 10 min an alarm goes off. Thewater outlet was running, but the top part of engine was really a lot hotter than the botoom part. Wait 20 min tilt the engine while runnig a couple of times and could feel the outlet water getting warmer and the top part of engine cooling off. The alarm disappears and after runnig hard for 30 minutes it seems the problem is solved. Could it be an air-bubble in the engine-water compartment for that spesific time? How can I prevent something like that happening again? I'm glad an alarm warned me otherwise I would have thought everything is OK , because the outlet cooling water pipe is flowing strong.
    Matt
    Kurte9542 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Oct 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
    If it only happened one time, you may have caught something on the water inlets that temporarily restricted the water flow. If it reoccurs, you may need to replace the water pump impeller or the pressure relief valve. Water pump impellers generally should be changed every 12 months, and generally will not last for more than 3 years, even less if the engine isn't run regularly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mercury 50hp 2-stroke outboard is overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Mercury 50horsepower 2-stroke outboard engine. I have replaced the thermostat and water pump. The engine quickly overheats. Some water does come out the outlet tube, but not as much as used to when it was new. I need to know what else to check to diagnose this problem. Any suggestions...

2000 pontiac Montana overheating after I changed waterpump and thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

2000 pontiac Montana overheating after I changed waterpump and thermostat fan blower still runs it is blowing air but air is cold

How can you ddifferntiate between a Mercury 2-stroke and 4-stroke outboard 5 horse? [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a 5 horse mercury freshwater, outboard, transum hung engine. What Im not sure of is do I mix the gas with oil or not. Thanks

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search