Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paul123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 09:36 AM
    First floor toilet gurgles
    I have a three story house with one toilet on each floor. When we flush the toilet on the second floor the toilet on the first floor gurgles - not all the time. The one in the basement does not gurgle. What could be causing this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2006, 04:00 PM
    When water discharges and runs down your pipes it creates a suction. This is why there are vent pipes to relive the suction and allow the water to run smoothly. When a vent pipe is blocked, the suction vents through the nearest fixture. In this case your commode. Your going to have to get on your roof and check the lavatory vent. I have found everything from birds nests to dead critters blocking a vent. Shine a light down the vent and see if you can see anything that may be down there. If not you will have to run a snake down the vent. I would recommend renting a Rigid K-60 sewer machine for the job. Open the 4" cleanout located just outside your house and run the snake out from the roof vent until you're past the cleanout. Hope this solves your problem, but if it don't, I'm as close as a click. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Gurgles When Flushing Toilet [ 16 Answers ]

Please Help!! My wife and I recently purchase our firt home (a condo actually). We are on the top floor (4 floors). Since moving in our tub drain has gurgled when we flush our toilet. We have notified our strata management compnay who have tried to both snake the stack vent on the roof as well...

Bathtub Gurgles and SMELLS when Toilet Flushed [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet is flushed, the bathtub starts gurgling and the smell from the bathroom is terrible. I used a snake for some time, but it seemed to spin fine, the gurgle is maybe a little quieter, but didn't go away. Help... my house smells! -Eric

New Floor and Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing the floor in my bathroom. I will be laying down 1/4 subfloor and then placing vinyl stick-down tile. My question is do I cut around the toilet, or do I extend the ring somehow and place the toilet on top of the new floor. I'm just afraid of the toilet leaking because of a not so...

Tub drain gurgles when toilet flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the bathtub drain makes a gurgling noise. There is not any water coming into the tub, but is the sign of a future problem?

Toilet slow to drain and gurgles [ 3 Answers ]

Older house. When I flush the toilet sometimes it works fine. But most of the time the water does not drain. Here is what I have done so far. I rented a commercial drain cleaner machine and took off the toilet and snaked it to the clean-out plug in the basement where the line then goes to the...

View more questions Search