Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maheard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Can my car be sold to pay for accident my child had in my car in Alabama
    Can my car be sold to pay for damages to a car my daughter hit. She took us to court I was not able to go I am disabled. I spoke to person and told her I could pay her a small amount each month but she said no. I am still on disability so what can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2010, 01:50 PM

Were you not insured?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 01:57 PM

The person you hit does not have to accept small payments - the Court will order (if there is sufficient proof) that you pay her.

I realize you are disabled but doesn't your daughter work? I realize you couldn't go to Court. Did she?

Whether your car will be seized and sold to pay the judgment depends on the State but I haven't seen that happen in years. The Judgment will probably live on for about 20 years and it will be against both you (as owner) and your daughter (as the driver).

I'm a liability investigator.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 03:01 PM

I am sorry being disabled is not an excuse not to go to defend yourself in court. You would have had plenty of notice, court houses have access to handicap.

If there was some serious issue for that day, you could have got it continued.

Next we will have to assume ? No insurance and that the child is a minor and driving your car ?

If the other side got a judgement, and your state allows them to attach property, yes they could take your car and other personal items to have sold to pay the debt.

Also how small amount did you offer, they don't have to accept a small amount, but could take that and stlll go after other money. They can also freeze and take money in your bank accounts in many places, and also get a garnishment on many sources of income.

Also the daughter may face some issues of losing her drivers license till this debt is paid also ( in most states)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident my car with insurance but no license [ 8 Answers ]

I had a car accident with my car with an insurance cover but no valid license but provisional driving licence which I have accepted liability of,what would be the repercussions

How do I get this guy to pay me for the car I sold him? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Montana. I was desperately trying to sell my car and I finally did! I sold it for 2300$ but the guy could only pay me 1500$ I made an open title and I gave it to him. I am a naïve nineteen year old. He gave me his word which I thought meant something at the time. On top of all this, he is...

Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me [ 2 Answers ]

I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) ,...

Sold my car to a car dealer Now He won't pay [ 3 Answers ]

I'm very fustrated... I bought a used car from my boyfriends friend I gave 5000 as down payment a finished to pay the car in less then the agreed time... I had to go out of the country for an emergency and that is why I paid of the car before the estimated time... I traded in my old car gave him a...

Not at fault for car accident, do they pay? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, this is pretty long and confusing but I'm hoping someone will know. I was just rear ended a few days ago during traffic time. The light was green but we all had to stop. The SUV behind us didn't realize it and ended up slamming into the back of our car. She admitted fault and kept telling us...

View more questions Search