Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mod3rnj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Cold water pressure relief valve leaking, not the TRP valve
    Hello.
    Cold water pressure relief valve start to drip water through the drain pipe. I replaced it with a new one but it is also dripping water. I have reduced water pressure in the house to the minimum by turning main water supply valve but it still leaking.
    Thanks for your help.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 10:02 AM

Closing main water supply valve half way doesn't reduce pressure.

There are 3 main reasons Pressure Relieve Valve leaks:

1. Faulty PRV ( replace PRV )
    2. Pressure to high ( reduce pressure at the regulator or replace it with new one AND replace PRV )
    3. Thermal Expansion ( Install Thermal Expansion Tank + replace PRV )

Jun 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

Thank you very much for your quick respond.
    I've replaced PRV two times and both dripping water.
    I've reduced pressure at the regulator (not by closing half way main water supply valve). I guess I'll try Expansion Tank.
    Thanks again.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 01:21 PM

Invest in a hose bib water pressure gage so you KNOW what's going on instead of guessing: Water Pressure Gauge w/ Garden Hose Adapter - FreshWaterSystems.com

You will then be able to isolate PRV and expansion tank issues.

1. PRV bad when pressure is unregulated when any valve is open in the house even a small amount.

2. Expansion tank test:
    1. turn off water heater until cool (overnight)
    2. Don't use any water. Monitor pressure.
    3.Turn on water heater.
    If pressure increases significantly as the water heats up the expansion tank is faulty.

It's unclear if you have an expansion tank. Set pressure to about 50 PSI.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2010, 05:59 PM

Is there a sprinkler system or a backflow preventer, (see image) installed? What's the house water pressure after you reduced it? Let me know. Tom
    Attached Images

Jun 28, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Is there a sprinkler system or a backflow preventer, (see image) installed? What's the house water pressure after you reduced it? Let me know. Tom
    Hi, Tom
    Thank you for your respond. I've purchased today water pressure gage and it show 61 psi. (I actually increase it back since with the lower settings PRV was dripping water any way.) PRV stamped 75 psi. We do not have sprinkler system and back flow preventer in the house.
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Cold water pressure relief valve leaking [ 6 Answers ]

My pressure relief valve is leaking. This is a very small amount of water dripping to the outside of the house. Next to replacing the valve is there anyway to stop the leak. This valve is within 2 feet of the pressure regulator where the water comes into the crawl space.

Finding root cause for Leaking Pressure Relief Valve [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks, Reading this forum has helped to explain that in many cases a leaking Watts brand PRV rated at 150psi is "just a symptom." I need your help in finding the root cause for the leak. I have 2 50 Gal Water heaters installed in Parallel in my garage(as I can turn off cold inlet on one...

Leaking pressure relief valve on h/w tank [ 4 Answers ]

The pressure relief valve keeps leaking. The h/w tank is about 9 months old. The problem started when the main line broke. The township had to turn my water off and when they fixed it and turned the water back on is when it started. Any help towards a solution is always appreciated. :)

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

View more questions Search