Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Won't load homepage
    Forgive me, but I am at work and just received a phone call from the family. Apparently after I left for work our computer stopped working.

It seems that it just continues to load and load and load when trying to pull up our homepage. We do not get a time out message.

My hubby called our provider and was on the phone for an hour. The provider got to our computer remotely and could not find anything wrong. He gave my husband a phone number for me to call in the morning, but I'm hoping that one of you might have some ideas for me to try before I call.

I have my daughter doing the antivirus right now.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 26, 2010, 10:47 PM
    Clear the cache, normally works. CCleaner's good for that ;)

Also see if it can get to any other pages.

"The provider got to our computer remotely " was this an actual connection to the computer or just the router/modem ?

That at least shows you do have a connection anyway.

Also check ALL cables are seated securely.
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 12:44 AM

Apparently we have a good connection. Restarted the computer in safe mode, but could still find nothing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the dogs unplugged the wireless router while laying under the desk, but the family says that everything is plugged in.

We can't get to ANY pages. Everything just continues to load and load.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Apparently we have a good connection. Restarted the computer in safe mode, but could still find nothing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the dogs unplugged the wireless router while laying under the desk, but the family says that everything is plugged in.

We can't get to ANY pages. Everything just continues to load and load.
    If the router was unplugged you'd get a message saying no internet connection. I have just finished doing tech support for 3 computers that has various viruses that seem to be a variant of one style of virus, this after almost a year of not hearing from them. It's possible that a date triggered the payload to activate. Thet all had one thing in common amongst other symptoms: inability to access Windows Updates. In fact the service is completely turned off. I fixed two of them but not the third (Windows repair re-install).

Download Malwarebytes Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes to a USB key and boot the PC into Safe Mode. Install and run AntiMalware from there and see if it finds anything.
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Well, I got home this morning and the computer is up and running.

There is a note on the desk that says that the wireless router was unplugged. :p

Apparently the plug did not come out the entire way, they did not look to see if the router lights were on, and they didn't look at the task bar to see that it was off. :eek:

This was after they spent an hour with tech support, then called me. I told them to check these things because it happens frequently to me. The dogs just love to lay on our feet while we are on the computer.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Well, I got home this morning and the computer is up and running.

There is a note on the desk that says that the wireless router was unplugged. :p

Apparently the plug did not come out the entire way, they did not look to see if the router lights were on, and they didn't look at the task bar to see that it was off. :eek:

This was after they spent an hour with tech support, then called me. I told them to check these things because it happens frequently to me. The dogs just love to lay on our feet while we are on the computer.
    Its always so frustrating that it was something simple, I did something similar a while back, had the internet cable connected to a splitter, then that going to my laptop and xbox, tried to conect to the internet, couldn't, checked all wires were in, restarted laptop, (I don't have access to the router and modem physically) but reset them through my ip to log on to the router, and still no,

Flat mate comes home his internet is working fine, comes to have a look the main cable leading from the router to the splitter is just so slightly pulled out (it doesn't have the plastic bit that clicks into place as it snapped off and hence slides in and out easily) it was just out by the smallest of milimeters, but because I was panicing and it looked to be in I assumed it was fully in :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't change homepage using IE [ 4 Answers ]

I am having issues changing homepage of my browser. I am uisng IE 7 and I am trying to go to internet options and change it from there but I cannot delete certain part of the link and change it to yahoo.com, Please advise how to fix it. Thank you:)

277/480 load after transformer = to 120/208 load feed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 800 amp 120/208 3P stand up section that feeds a step up 90kva transformer and the loads are nearly equal? I thought that after the transformer the load of 277/480 would be drawing less. We have about 500 amps per phase being drawn in front of the transformer and the load at the sub...

Homepage problem [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems in setting up my homepage evrytime I open my internet explorer it always starts at a page named about blank even if I try changing it at the tools portion I still can't change it to other sites example to Yahoo.. and one more problem since I had the problem about the homepage my...

Homepage [ 2 Answers ]

My home page has been hi-jacked and all efforts to retrieve it has failed, any suggestions?

View more questions Search