Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dumbo71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 08:03 AM
    My son is an adult alcoholic, what do I do
    My son is a very smart , handsome and charismatic young man of 32 who has worked for our family business as he did not finish college and has drifted since he graduated high school. He has no girl friend but is the most friendliest guy you could meet. He has had trouble for at least 10 years and is now in a court order rehab. Facility and has been there 5 months. My concern lays in several areas. Should I do the following? One, he has a 11000.00 income tax bill which I am thinking of paying with his inheritance money. I want that to be the last of bills paid for him as he needs to stand on his own feet when he returns to society and he will need to work for everything else. Two, his father does not think he his an alcoholic problem but I do. Should I go alone to the al-lon meetings? I was hoping we could go together, as we both want to support our son. I need to be prepared when my son is out of rehab. What do I need to do to be ready?
    Thank you for your help.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2010, 08:13 AM

You should go to the Alanon meetings. If not together, alone.

It's good that he is rehab. He is going to need all the help that he can get right now. And as far as the tax bill, I can tell you as someone who is in recovery(15 months), it's always best to NOT have to be overwhelmed by debt right now. BUT, he has to be able to deal with the other problems as they arise.

Your son is sick, not "damaged" as your husband probably feels. Alcoholism is not a state of mind.

I have to ask, does your husband drink heavily? Why the denial?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 08:40 AM

I would not pay any of his bills, he can just not pay it for a bit, and then work out a payment plan, he got into the bill, he needs as part of his recovery learn to make admins and pay his bills and other debts ( money and emotional)

You should if you are going to help him at all, set very strict standards of conduct that is acceptable, and explain what will happen if he crosses those lines.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 08:56 AM
    If he is in court ordered rehab for the past five months, he must have had some serious charges to face. I presume the 'trouble' you refer to over the past 10 years, has been a result of his drinking? Is there drug use involved here as well? An $11,000 tax bill has resulted from something seriously gone wrong as well.

So you have kept him employed in the family business, and I'm only guessing here, but it isn't likely any other employer would have kept him on. Did he also live at home, and have you covered his rear for outstanding debts, or have you also provided a car, insurance, a phone etc. for him as well.

As to the income tax bill, at age 32, he can make his own arrangements to pay that bill, and request installments, or work hard enough to qualify for a loan to pay it off.

When he gets out of rehab, will he have any conditions attached, such as a suspended drivers' license, community service, fines, etc?

I would contact the person in charge of his rehab now, and meet with his counsellor for advice on what to expect when he is released. Your son would probably have to sign an agreement for them to talk to you, and I would ask for a meeting. They very well could be expecting him to follow up with visits, or have drug/alcohol random tests if he is also going to be on probation. It is important you know the conditions of his release.

If he falls back into what I suspect are familiar patterns of behaviour, this will undermine any success that he has achieved.

I would personally not bail out a 32 year old son of mine. While you need to understand that continuing to support him will actually undermine his personal success, that doesn't mean that you cannot contribute in a positive way with boundaries and expectations.

To have some sort of counselling in place for you and your husband, before he is released is a good idea, if he does come to live at home, the three of you should attend counselling together, at least during the transition period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with adult alcoholic son [ 26 Answers ]

My alcoholic son is presently serving time in jail for dui and probation violation. He is 37 and has been through several rehab programs over the past 20 years with family encouragement, love and support but with no success. His sister and I have decided not to contact him this time and see if he...

Alcoholic adult daughter with baby! [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,this is my first post,and I am desperate for advice. My 32 year old daughter is an alcoholic and has a 7 month old baby. Lately she has started to drink again,and lies and manipulates family members. The other night,my other adult daughter went to babysit for her so she could attend an AA...

How to deal with alcoholic adult child [ 3 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter received a dwi a month ago and is pending a court date. She is away at college and will be coming home for summer break. I do not want to enable her drinking. Before she comes come I want to let her know that she can come home only if she agrees that she will not drink...

Adult Alcoholic Depressed Daughter/Mother Relationship in trouble [ 5 Answers ]

I am so depressed. So sad. My adult daughter is not getting better or over her depression and alcoholism. She has a son whom I have, for all practical purposes, raising and I love him as though he was my own. It's been about 10 years now. It is wearing me down. My health is showing wear and...

How to deal with a adult son a 22 year old who is an alcoholic and a drug addict [ 19 Answers ]

My son is 22 years old and is addicted to alcohol and drugs. My husband and myself have tried every which way to help him we even tried him in a rehab.He is in trouble with the law because of his habit and he knows he has couple court dates coming up but he still continues with his habits.My...

View more questions Search