Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcl66 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Ex girlfriend loves me and her ex, but is confused and ended it with me.
    I have been dating this girl for about 2 1/2 months. We had a very strong attraction to each other and spent every weekend together. When we first met, her ex boyfriend (14 years older than her), was trying to get her back. I asked her if she was over him, and she told me she was. So, we dated, and eventually fell in love with each other. I know, 2 1/2 months is a short time, but we felt it very strongly. Everything was great until 2 weeks ago. One day she left my house and the next, she didn't want to see me. Then two days later, her ex showed up at her work and told her he wanted her back. So, that night, she told me she still had feelings for her ex and that she needed space to think. She had told me before that she had known her ex for many years, but that they had broken up many times. She thought she was over him, but I guess not. So, after seeing her ex at her home, the next day, she told me she was very confused and upset, that she felt she should breakup with me. She says she still loves me, but that she can't watch me hang on until she figures out if what she wants. She told me that she would always love her ex and she thought she would spend the rest of her life with him. But he is controlling and she left him many times. She had pushed me completely out of her life, but still says she doesn't know if she is going back with him or not. She says she has been in as much or more pain as me, but that she had to let me go. I am so confused about this. I love her so much and I think she may be the one for me. We still text and talk, but she says we should stop. I want her back. What should I do? I am trying to move on, but it's so hard. Do I give her time or just forget her?
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2010, 08:27 PM

Stay away.

She now has to work for you. Not vice versa...

Get out of there. If she chases you down later she better have a good excuse... saddle up and ride cowboy!
    parisrose Posts: 61, Reputation: 28

Jun 25, 2010, 11:12 PM

Forget her!

She obviously isn't over her ex at all!
    Sorry to say this but you were just a rebound for her.

This sucks because you really did fall for her. This same thing happened to me in my previous relationship, the guy wasn't totally over his ex and dumped me after 2 months to go back to her.

You need to go NC with her and move on. Even if she doesn't want to be with her ex anymore, she's going to need some time to truly get over him and find her own way again.

I wouldn't waste my time waiting for someone, that is just a chance.
    There are plenty of other women out there.
    pandead Posts: 280, Reputation: 228

Jun 25, 2010, 11:27 PM

I'd say stay away too, but not for the same reasons.

I've been where she is and when she says it hurts, she is probably telling the truth, because it does. You can read other stories here; exes always come back at some point (for different reasons) when you feel more confident, when you're ready to get over them, be with someone else, accept the end of the relationship and wow, some of them look/sound even better than when we dated them, they leave us confused.

They have something you two don't, a past. This is the confusing part. The best card an ex can play is the "past" card (my ex got me 3 times just by saying "do you remember when...") and even though I don't know her, I think I would do the same to anyone I respect, I would break up if I feel a tiny bit of confusion, because no one deserves that - and because it means the healing process isn't over yet. You shouldn't be around someone who is still confused around their ex anyway.

So stay away. If you really like this girl and want to be with her, give her the time and space she needs, do your own thing for a bit. If she decides to come back and you still want her back, she will have to prove you that she is over him so you can trust her again. If she doesn't, you will already be healing by focusing on your life. Conclusion : you will be fine either way.

If you ask my opinion, it all looks like she took a shortcut in her healing process to me. I don't know how long she's been single before she started dating you, but I think she needs much more time if she wants to get over her ex really.

Plus,

Quote Originally Posted by dcl66 View Post
    One day she left my house and the next, she didn't want to see me. Then two days later, her ex showed up at her work and told her he wanted her back.
    Do you think it's a coincidence? I don't.

Jun 26, 2010, 07:14 AM
    QUOTE by pandead;
    I don't know how long she's been single before she started dating you, but I think she needs much more time if she wants to get over her ex really.
    Update:
    She told me it had been about a year since she was with her ex. She also told me yesterday, that she can't think of me with other women, but she knows I am lonely. Confusing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 08:10 AM

Of course its confusing, but the confusion is hers, and your making it yours.

Its really simple, she has made a decision, you got dumped, so disappear from her life, and leave her alone.

Talaniman Rule- Stay away from any one that has an ex involved in their lives.

Talaniman Rule - Never ever get to close to a person that has a committed partner in their lives.

Talaniman Rule-When they ask for a break, give it to them and do your own thing.

Talaniman Rule- If one female isn't available, there are millions that are. Don't get stuck on one who is BUSY with other things.

Talaniman Rule- Never get so wrapped up with wanting something, when you know you can't have it

She may of liked you a lot, but obviously not enough to stay with you!
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2010, 08:30 PM

If it's any consolation I doubt it will work out with him...
    ... she is going to have to hit restart. But don't be there waiting.

I have been there. I once had a GF that left her BF for me. Later she left me for him. And I swear she would have left him for me, had I not said STOP the madness...

Jun 26, 2010, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123
    it's any consolation i doubt it will work out with him.....
    ...she is gonna have to hit restart. but don't be there waiting.
    I have told her the same thing, that it will not work with him. He has promised her he has changed and fixed what is wrong, but as my mom has always said, "A leopard can't change his spots", and his true personality will show through eventually. But, the way I feel now, it is VERY hard not to be there waiting. I try and try to not contact her, and I always do. And she always responds, usually by text. I know I need to stop and heal, but I can't stop myself. How can you do NC and not drive yourself crazy?
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 05:43 AM

Read the stickies at the beginning of this forum
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 07:15 AM

Do you want to marry her and never date anyone else ever?

Do you think that maybe though it hurts that she needs to have your back more if you are going to love her with all your heart?

Don't let your ego mess you up. She is not committed... You deserve more.

Jun 27, 2010, 09:25 AM

Update:
    Last night I went on a date with a new girl, I will call Sara. I have talked to her before, and she called and asked me to go to a swimming party with her and her friends. So, I said yes. We swam together and eventually started holding each other. I was distant at first, but mellowed out later. I am not sure I feel an attraction to her. I just keep thinking, it is too soon, but I also want the contact of others. I really don't have any friends and my family are far away. So, I am basically alone. Anyway, I drove her back to her car and kissed her goodnite and it was good. But on my way back home, I broke into tears and felt terrible.
    What I have left out is that I know that yesterday, my ex went to see her ex, or he came to see her. I know they were together yesterday afternoon and maybe today. She told me that she has no plans on sleeping with him, but I couldn't help but wonder what is going on between them. What is so bad, is that it makes me upset that he is with her, and I am not. I should be there. But, I know, you will say I am in denial.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 12:53 PM

Just stay away buddy... at least 90 days of NOT knowing what she is doing. She is not the girl for you but log the days until that makes sense.
    Sorry, I know it suxxxxxxxx

Jun 27, 2010, 12:59 PM

Today has been pretty good, but those thoughts come through when I least expect it. I want to ask her so many questions, that I probably already know the answer too, but feel I need to ask anyway. Crazy. It's hard to understand why someone that said she loved me could cause all this pain in me. Seems like I am hurting while she is having fun and only feeling guilty. But, I have read a lot of posts on this site, and they have helped. I took a big step and deleted her numbers from my phone. Felt like I was losing her again. It was hard to do. But I know I have to start NC now. She will have to want me back for it to ever work again. Why does it seem it is so easy for a woman to break contact with her boyfriend, while guys fall all over themselves to make contact?
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 01:49 PM

Stay awayyy...

Your future is elsewhere.
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 01:50 PM

Your pain makes you see things that way my friend. Soon you will see things with clarity, and understanding when your emotional dust has settled.

Then what she is doing will no longer be important, and you can enjoy doing your own thing, and not worry about what she is doing. Matter of time, so go NC, and be patient.

Jun 28, 2010, 10:43 AM

Today is bad. I am missing her so much. I'm glad I deleted her number cause I am sure I would contact her. My willpower is so low. I received a text last night, out of the blue, from her wishing me "Good night. Hope your Monday is a great one." I was totally blown away by it and keep wondering what it meant. Was she just being nice, or was she starting to miss me more? I am not letting this get my hopes up. I will still do NC. But I keep thinking that maybe I should call and just talk to her about how she is feeling now with no asking her back and just being casual and non-threating. I know, that this is wrong, but I can't help thinking it will help me get over her better if I know she is getting over me and not even thinking of getting back together ever. I just don't know.
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 11:35 AM

I just don't know
    I DO know. For a fact you need to regain your clarity of thought through NC, and remember you got dumped because HER confusion is now yours.

Its hard, yes I know from experience, but making decisions based on facts, and not confused feelings is your goal.

That's what NC is all about, and what you need to be doing.

It's the HARDEST, and BEST, life lesson I ever learned to cope with MY own feelings. You also learn a lot about yourself, and how to handle yourself during times of great stress and indecision.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2010, 07:34 PM

Time for NC. Forever.

She's playing you & using you.

Wants you as her backup plan.

Is that the kind of person you want?

She will keep doing that no matter who she's with.

Show her who's in control by NEVER speaking to her again.

And be glad to be rid of that type.

Jun 28, 2010, 07:37 PM

Why are some days much harder. I am sitting here now forcing myself not to call her. Reading all the posts on this site does help. But, the pull to contact her is so strong. I hope tomorrow is easier. I have to keep telling myself that she has to be the one to contact me. I don't have her now and contacting her may make it worse. But my mind also tells me that maybe calling her will remind her of me and maybe I will say something that will change her mind. I know it is fantasy, but those thoughts creep in. It's going on three weeks now since the break up and I really don't feel any better (well some better). Hopefully the pain will ease soon. The longing inside seems too much to take sometimes.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2010, 07:45 PM

Yeah, takes time. Don't worry.

Just know that she is not the reason for your happiness or your existence. Just the opposite, actually.

Think rationally. She used you to realize she would rather be with her ex.

Not someone worth crying over. She made her bed, let her lie in it & you to learn from this.

Never get with someone that's secretly pining for someone else.

Sorry man. Time to move one & forget this one.
    Not worth your precious time or feelings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend still loves me but seeing someone else [ 21 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend and I were really serious but then I decided to ask for a break because she was always talking about never being alone and wanting to be confident on her own. I guess I was just a little afraid that if we took it to the next level and she still felt that it could be disastrous. ...

My Ex girlfriend says she loves me [ 21 Answers ]

This is the email I got from her.. im just wondering if I still have a chance to win her back, or what does it mean? Even though she isn't dating another guy, but they do spend a lot of time together.. when I asked her, she says they "just friends".. Hey... Well I'm abit bleak at the moment...

Me and my girlfriend of 3 years ended are relationship now she's texting me [ 2 Answers ]

Hi well I was with my girlf for 3yrz I was 17 and she was 15.. Iam now 20 going on 21 and she turned 19.. She works away I when we split up before for abit we just enjoyed are selfs going out drinking an partyin as we were over 18years old when then did get back together but while me split we did...

My girlfriend ended our relationship because of my children [ 76 Answers ]

We've been dating for 2 years and everything has been going great... we really had no arguments, we've constantly said that we were the best thing that ever happened to each other. I have 3 children, 9 year old girl, 7 year old girl and 6 year old boy. I have joint shared custody and they live...

My girlfriend ended it a few weeks ago and I don't want to lose her [ 1 Answers ]

We had been dating for about 4 months. She was stressing out about everything and told me that she loves me but doesn't want to hurt me by not seeing me as much. She is a stubborn hard nosed person and wants to figure stuff out on her own right now. She heard that I was crying over it and she said...

View more questions Search