Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troublemakerman Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jun 25, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Sleep Problem
    For years I have sleep apnea and narcolepsy. I was driving 37 miles to work and the same back home. I would find myself dosing off and drifting on the highway. Nock wood I never had an accident because of my condition. I was under a doctor’s care my last sleep test was years back and you people that know how they wire people up for this test. Well they say I woke up 438 times within 8 hours, I never go into that deep REM sleep. I was taking daily 60 mgs of Ritalin, 1000-1400 mgs of caffeine pills, 1000 mgs of ginseng, 1000-1600 mgs of provigil and what I found to be the best were pretzels. I would eat the pretzels in the car and that helped. All the pills only took the edge off. The pills didn’t keep me from falling asleep at home or even at work. One of my co-workers tried one of my 200 mg pills he said it kept him awake for 24 hours. I had tried the c-pap machine I would wake up with it off my face, I just couldn’t sleep with it. I finally stopped working and retired, I also stopped all those pills. I can nap at home. I need a pill to go to sleep at night, I still can’t go into that deep sleep and I’m so tired during the day that at times I take a caffeine pill or one of those 5 hour power (helps a little) drinks. Anyone with these problems? Any help with this? Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 09:06 AM

Try different masks, you need to learn to sleep with it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 09:46 AM

Have you tried melatonin to help you sleep?

Jun 25, 2010, 10:30 AM

Chuck.. In my sleep I would pull off the mask.
    Wondergirl... What is melatonin?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 10:39 AM

I love Melatonin. I take it daily.

It's an herbal medication.

Check it out here... How Melatonin Affects Your Sleep Cycles

Jun 25, 2010, 12:31 PM

I'll try melatonin. Thank's.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 08:18 AM

Has your sleep disorder gotten worse since your wife died? The first year after I lost my husband I never slept more than 3 hours at a time. Eventually it got better (I've always been a light sleeper) but it was a very difficult year.

Jun 27, 2010, 08:38 AM

Judy... What I am finding a problem with since my wife died is, I take 2 over the counter PM's and 1 Ambien and I fall asleep and 15-30 minutes later I'm awake. I can't fall back to sleep, I take half an Ambien to go back to sleep. 5-6 hours later I'm up. I try to take a nap during the day.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 08:51 AM

I know - I remember all too well. I would jerk or startle awake after a very brief period for no apparent reason. I didn't want to take any medication but at time I did take over the counter pills.

Grief is so odd - I couldn't stay asleep and I have a friend who couldn't stay awake when his wife died.

I remember walking around in half a fog, afraid to make a decision because I was so tired. Driving - scared me to death.

On a side note - I'm very sorry for your loss.

Jun 27, 2010, 05:47 PM

Judy…….. Grief I’ve had my share. I lost my Mother 12/2007 then my wife 1/2009 then my wife’s dog this past Mothers day. I guess the only good thing from all this is that I now write poems, most honoring my wife. I must be getting help from my wife. Thank You
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 08:20 AM

If you have the feeling that your wife is around you, is helping you, is in touch with you, you are a very fortunate man. I have never had that experience - and I regret that I have not.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 08:28 AM

My doctor has told me that the worse thing you can do is take sleeping remedies and over the counter or prescription meds for sleep. Especially if you have sleep apnea, because sleeping pills relax your muscles and when your sleeping you will have greater trouble with breathing. Taking this meds, will make it worse.

Jun 28, 2010, 09:44 AM

Judy
    I have a digital picture frame which is in the living room where I sit to watch TV. When my wife is around the picture frame stops, it stops at any time not like it gets hot after 8 hours. Some times it stops after a few days and at times it stops 4 times in the same day. One day it went off and I said hello Joey and I put the frame back on and I asked “Joey are you here” the frame went off, with another question it went off again, that’s how I know when she is here. I’ve been to a few mediums they also tell me she is around me.
    Jesushelper
    The pills are the only way I can fall asleep. I also know if I sleep on my back I could lose my breath and die. It’s happened many times to me when my wife was alive, I would be on my back gasping for air and she would wake me up or roll me on my side. It hasn’t happened since my wife died so that’s another reason I believe she is here watching over me.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    My doctor has told me that the worse thing you can do is take sleeping remedies and over the counter or prescription meds for sleep. Especially if you have sleep apnea, because sleeping pills relax your muscles and when your sleeping you will have greater trouble with breathing. Taking this meds, will make it worse.
    However, Melatonin is different. It is a naturally occurring chemical in our bodies that is highest between the hours of 2am and 4am. Many people do not produce enough melatonin to inhibit sleep. Melatonin does not relax muscles like OTC meds like Tylenol PM for example.

Jun 28, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    However, Melatonin is different. It is a naturally occurring chemical in our bodies that is highest between the hours of 2am and 4am. Many people do not produce enough melatonin to inhibit sleep. Melatonin does not relax muscles like OTC meds like Tylenol PM for example.
    I was told about melatonin, I just have'nt been to the store yet. Thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I agree completely.
    I have been through everything natural and man made and nothing works. I hope that Melatonin makes a difference for this person. Also Valarien root has not been mentioned which I have tried as well.

Good luck with everything.

Jun 29, 2010, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    I agree completely.
    I have been through everything natural and man made and nothing works. I hope that Melatonin makes a difference for this person. Also Valarien root has not been mentioned which I have tried as well.

Good luck with everything.
    I got out yesterday and bought the melatonin. Last night I took one of them with my usual pills. I went to sleep after 11pm, I woke at 530am and went to bathroom, my dog did'nt move so I went back to sleep and I woke up at 730am. I'm ready for a nap now but I'm going to movie with grandkids, so I'll take a drink of 5hr energy and hope not to nap at movie. Thank you
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:34 AM

That is 6 hours and two hours. That is 8 hours altogether. Is that better?
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:58 AM

Being tired all the time may very well be a sign of depression, certainly understandable in your situation. If that is the case it is part of grieving (as long as it is not excessive fatigue, at least that's what my Doctor said) and it may very well begin to pass.

I just remarried and my husband's grandchildren want to see Toy Story 3. I'd personally rather be shot.

Jun 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Being tired all the time may very well be a sign of depression, certainly understandable in your situation. If that is the case it is part of grieving (as long as it is not excessive fatigue, at least that's what my Doctor said) and it may very well begin to pass.

I just remarried and my husband's grandchildren want to see Toy Story 3. I'd personally rather be shot.
    My tiredness is from sleep apnea and narcolepy, I've had this I know of 20 yearsand I will have it the rest of my life. Congratulations on the marriage. I just got back from seeing A-Team not bad lots of action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8month old has less sleep, can some one tell me how to put him to sleep [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my son is 8month and 2 week old; still I tie him when he is sleeping as he kicks the blanket in the night and gets cold…. If I keep the AC less then he sweat and won’t get good sleep. If I keep in un tied then he starts crawling or sits in night and won't sleep for long time can some one tell me...

Need sleep, are on stilnox, clinics can cure the addiction but how do I sleep after [ 4 Answers ]

I have been drinking stilnox for three years to sleep, understand I am sort of addictive to it, been to docters, clinics, sleeping facilities, drank herbal medicine, follwed what's called sleep hygience, drank serotonin enhancers, NOTHING works, it's extremely difficult to get stilnox here and...

Central heating problem or water meter problem? [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an apartment building and the individual water usage is measured by private water meters (mechanical). When the apartment was built, 2 years ago, some of the meters had been fitted the wrong way (in reverse). Yesterday a plumber attended to rectify 3 meters. My 2 neighbours meters were...

Sleep problem [ 9 Answers ]

So my sister has some sleeping issues... and need help... for the past week she has only gotten about 12 hours of sleep... yesterday she slept for 3 hours and has been up since then and that's more then 24 hours she has been up for.. and she says she can not fall asleep for anything she lays in bed...

1995 Altima Idleing problem Knock & O2 sensor, EGR Flow Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1995 Nissan Altima with 67,000 miles. When the car is idleing when I start it or when it is at a red light the rpm's go from 6000 to 9000. It sounds like I am reving the engine. The engine sounds fine when I am driving the car ( rpm's are consitent). I went to AutoZone the read out errors...

View more questions Search