Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mainie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 10:09 PM
    MS word file into MP3? How
    How do I convert a MS Word file into a MP3?
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 12, 2006, 10:44 PM
    I don't believe you can, but there is one option you can try, although I haven't tried it before. Remember this is completely experimental, and I don't think you have the right data for it to crossover or at least work.

Anyway, if open the document and resave it under a new name, give it a different extension(pick .mp3 in your case), that my make the file transfer to a mp3 setting, but again I am not quite sure, but it might...
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
    Hi Mainie,
    You can not directly convert an MS Word document into an MP3 file, as the former is a text format and the latter a compressed audio format. If you are trying to convert a sound object or objects embedded within a Word document, you would first need to extract them somehow, I would assume. How you would go about this, I'm not entirely sure, as I've never worked with sounds in MS Word.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Take care.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 12, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    Hi Mainie,
    You can not directly convert an MS Word document into an MP3 file, as the former is a text format and the latter a compressed audio format. If you are trying to convert a sound object or objects embedded within a Word document, you would first need to extract them somehow, I would assume. How you would go about this, I'm not entirely sure, as I've never worked with sounds in MS Word.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Take care.
    Yeah, I didn't think it was possible for the exact reasons you said. I don't know why I said that, I just thought she was working inside of dreamweaver and threw out an answer.

P.S. I couldn't give you rep... I have to spread it around...
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 12, 2006, 10:59 PM
    One other possible option. If you know your soundcard is "full duplex (most newer ones are)" -- able to play and record simultaneously -- you can use an audio editor (there are some good free ones available) to record to Wav or a similar format, and compress to mp3 from there.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    Yeah, I didn't think it was possible for the exact reasons you said. I don't know why I said that, I just thought she was working inside of dreamweaver and threw out an answer.

P.S. I couldn't give you rep...I have to spread it around...
    Hi Wizzkid. Thanks. That was a good idea. Changing the extension does sometimes work with certain file types in certain programs, depending on the type of data contained. I'm just not sure an audio program could ignore the irrelevant or extraneous data to find the embedded Wavs. It might be worth a try though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2006, 09:29 AM
    As has been noted these are two very different type of formats. What you MIGHT be able to do is use a Text to Speech utility to "read" the text file into a sound file that can then be converted to MP3.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing the file type (.exe/.zip/.mp3/... ) [ 9 Answers ]

I know how to open a file using the "open with" option But how do you change the file types? Such as from '.exe' to '.zip' or from '.xm' to '.mod' In the past, that was quite simply done by changing the file name... but now in the newer Versions of windows... if you rename something -...

Removing Previously opened document Word File Menu [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a question. Normally when we open a word document and select the File Menu, then we come across all previously opened (about 4) word files. Now I want to remove those existing files which show up when we start a word document. I know how to overwrite it, by opening a few other...

Squeezing an MP3 file [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a program available to reduce (squeeze) an MP3 file for use on a web page?

MS Word - Display file location [ 1 Answers ]

Currently I have Word set to display the file location at the bottom of the page... but now I forget how I set that, and can't find it in help. Can someone remind me how to set this and turn it off and on? Thanks!

Merging Word files into one large file [ 16 Answers ]

I have book pages stored as five files of 15 pages each. Is there a way to combine them into one large file? Thank you.

View more questions Search