Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PEBBLES51 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 05:58 PM
    Old 3 speed fan switch has white, purple, blue, grey wires. How to connect?
    My old pull chain 3 speed fan switch has white, purple, blue, grey wires. New switch has markings L (black wire), 1, 2, and 3. How should I connect new switch to old wires?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 11:01 PM

How were those wires connected to the old switch?

What make is the fan?

Ceiling fan pullchain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Trientalis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 10:39 AM
    I pulled the three speed fan switch from my old "box fan" that wasn't working. The switch also had the "L, 1, 2, 3" markings, like your pull chain switch. Mine was a knob type switch that you rotated from Off to High, then to Medium, then to Low. My switch was OK, but the motor was bad. Anyway, in testing the switch, it was arranged so that "L" was "Line" (the HOT power cord wire), 1 was a black wire that gave High fan, 2 was a blue wire for Medium, 3 was a red wire that was for Low fan.
    Most likely, as long as the hot wire is connected right, you could connect the other three wires in any order, the only problem being that "Low, Medium, High" might be out of order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wir [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wires

36C67-189 White Rodgers Gas Valve, white and blue wires: which is TH and which is TR? [ 2 Answers ]

Simple version... 36C67-189 White Rodgers Gas Valve, white and blue wires: which is TH and which is TR? Long version... I'm installing a new gas valve in my 1989 era coleman furnace (The correct modern replacement, the 36C67-189 White Rodgers Gas Valve). My furnace has a white and a blue wire. ...

Connect ceiling fan wires to ZE268S6 pull chain switch [ 2 Answers ]

I ordered a new pull chain switch from Hunter and I want to install it myself. It's configured a bit differently than the original. The switch has 4 slots on the side like the original (Well Tec) and also 4 small round holes on the top. Can someone tell me where and how to connect the fan...

How do I connect the wires on a new pull chain switch on a ceiling fan? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Heritage Model H42UL (05 2001) ceiling fan that had the fan switch removed before I acquired the fan. Wire colors for the switch are Black, Orange, & from the capacitor, Yellow & Purple. Which wire goes to which slot on a new switch?

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

View more questions Search