Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momof5blessings Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Joint cusotdy agreement, I would like to join the Army.
    I have joint custody with my ex husband, I have physical custody. This arrangement was established during our divorce in Maryland. We both agreed to relocate and modify visitation. I live in Ohio, but my ex lives in Colorado. Since our relocation, he has exercised very little of his visitation, he doesn't call as scheduled, and at one time banded 2 of our 3 children from coming to his home for visitation. Our children are 15, 13 and 11. I am considering joining the Army. While I am attending basic training and AIT, my husband (their step father) wants to care for them. I think it's best for the kids. It allows our children stabilizability with extended family, schools and medical care. Our 11 yr old is autistic with seizures, my husband has been with her for every surgery, hospitalization, and Dr visit. He knows her doctors, medication and misc blood levels. Would my husband be able to care for them while I am away for 18 weeks?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2010, 06:33 PM

You can leave power of attorneys to allow him to do medical care, I would go though an attorney.

Your ex will or could use this opportunity to enforce the custody agreements and file for temp custody of the kids. So do you think he will ?

Remember that if the current agreement allows you each to live where you are at, you are going to have to go back ( depending on the agreement) and get permission to actually move again with the military.

Also the 18 week now, but what about if you go to Korea for 11 months without family being able to go?

Jun 23, 2010, 06:56 PM
    I think my ex would be pressured by his wife to file for temp custody, so he wouldn't have to pay child support. She doesn't want the kids in her home, but doesn't want him to pay support either. Neither of them will follow the doctors instructions for my special needs child's care.

Our current agreement has no clauses for relocation from our current addresses. It only stated that we are to meet to exchange the kids in an agreed upon city and transportation cost sharing.

My basic and AIT is 18 weeks, then we will report to our fist duty assignment. After completion of the assignment, the kids will be 18 years or almost there.

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2010, 07:03 PM

Yes, it is that risk, one option is for the attorney to make them the offer to allow the kids to use their "joint" time with him during this period. He would have to refuse it, and most support is based with that joint visit time built in, not sure how's your works.

But yes, being away, your hubby does not have that same legal right as you do, and it allows ex a chance to file motions while you are away.

Jun 23, 2010, 07:21 PM
    He delayed our divorce for 3 years because he didn't wan to loose BAH. Using that motions he was on military orders, can that delay court hearings for custody?

I don't think I understand our joint custody. He makes no medical, educational, or religious decision about the children. He has visitation every other Christmas, Thanksgiving and Spring break. He is allotted to have them 6-8 weeks in the summer. He has only taken Christmas and Thanksgiving once in the last 5 years. He has only visited with all 3 one time in the summer and last summer he allowed 1 child to visit him. This summer he said he would see them for 2 weeks to see how it goes.

Does a child's preference play any role?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my boyfriend to join the army [ 6 Answers ]

I was reading about the benefits of joining the army.. as well as the possible struggles.. With both our personalities I believe the military life would be beneficial to us both, together. But how do I go about mentioning this to my boyfriend without him thinking I'm pushing the idea on him? He...

Army benefits for father with joint custody of son [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any additional army benefits that a child of a soldier would get if the father had joint custody as opposed to a father in the army with no joint custody?

Bond / Indemnity Agreement and Joint-Control Agreements [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in New Jersey, and obtained a guardianship bond. They wording of the joint-controled was flawed and the bank will not honor it because the attorney was not listed as a co-guardian. I was wondering if you sign a Bond / Indemnity Agreement and the Surety turns around and asks you...

Possible battle for child cusotdy [ 2 Answers ]

How difficult can a custody battle be? Say the mom has custody but rarely sees them. They don't really want to be with her much although they do love her and want to see her some times. They never want to leave the dad or the dad's girlfriend. The custodial parent's mother helps her out quite a...

Wishing to Change Decision Making Power in Joint Custody Agreement. [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I have a joint custody agreement (60:40, me:him) that includes 50/50 decision making power in regard to medical care, education, and religion. When we were married we usually agreed about everything related to parenting and care for the kids. My ex-husband has remarried and now...

View more questions Search