Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aw4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Chemistry Problem Need Assistance
    I am a parent who just read this in my daughter math book I am lost can someone help me in the right dirrection.

A chemical formula shows the ratio of atoms in a substance. The formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. This means carbon dioxide has 1 atom of carbon (C) for every 2 atoms of oxygen (O). Write the ratio of hydrogen (H) atoms to oxygen atoms in the substances in parts (a) and (b) below.

a. water, H2O
    b. disinfectant, H2O2
    c. Reasoning Ammonia has a ratio of 1 atom of nitrogen (N) to 3 atoms of hydrogen. What is the chemical formula?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Dec 12, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

What the problem is asking for here is a ratio of one thing to the next.

For CO2 as given in the problem, we are told that there is 1 carbon and 2 oxygen which means the ratio of carbon to oxygen is 1 to 2 or 1:2

The small number to the lower right of the chemical symbol is called a subscript. It indicates the number of atoms of that element present in the compound. If there is no subscript present there is only one of them.

Use this information to help you.

For part A the process is the same as the example.

For part B the process is the same as the example.

For part C all you have to do is reverse engineer this process.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Dec 12, 2006, 08:15 PM
    A.2 hydrogen for every 1 oxygen

B.1 hydrogen for every 2 oxygen (or 1 H for 1 O)

For a chemical formula, the letters stand for elements. For example: H is Hydrogen
    A chemical formula can also have two letters. For example: Al is Aluminium. Notice the 2nd letter is lower case. That means it is joined with the previous letter. So, to count the number of elements, Count the uppercase letters.

The number after letters tell you the amount of that atom in each molecule. For example: H2O means 2 hydrogen, 1 Oxygen (if there is no number behind a letter or pair of letters, it means 1 atom)

So, to mix it all together, if I have AlH2O3 (I made this formula up, it wouldn't necessarily make anything that would be common to us) , it means I have 1 Al (aluminium), 2 H (Hydrogen), and 3 O (Oxygen)

So, for part C. NO3 (1 Nitro. 3 hydro.)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I went a little fast.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Dec 12, 2006, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    So, for part C. NO3 (1 Nitro., 3 hydro.)
    That would be NH3
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Dec 13, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Opps, yes you are right. I had a bit of a mix up. I was mixed up with what I previously stated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English and Chemistry assistance [ 3 Answers ]

I need someone to help me wif english and chemistry I really need a tutor fir both so if any one can help

Chemistry problem [ 1 Answers ]

2) Sulfuric acid reacts with copper to produce cupric sulfate and hydrogen gas. If you hae a solution of sulfuric acid that is 40 percent hydrogen sulfate by weight , how many grams of copper do you need to react with 20 grams of sulfuric acid?

Chemistry reactuion problem [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone help me with the following two problems? 1) If you react ammonium sulfate with calcium nitrate, what are the products? Is it SO(NO3)2 + Ca(NH4)2 or CaSO4 + 2(NH4)NO3 How do you know which are going to combine? I'm confused

Chemistry Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me with this following chem problem? A compound containing only xenon and fluorine can be obtained by shining light on a flask that contain .526 g of xenon and excess fluorine gas. When all the xenon was consumed, 678 of the new compound was obtained. Determine the empirical...

View more questions Search