Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alicialeigh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 07:04 PM
    Goldfish Help
    I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction. I am so afraid the dust is going to cause Goldie to get sick - is there anything I can do to remove the cloudiness/dust from her tank? :(
    introuble1985 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 07:18 PM
    First of all change the water. If you can find a filter that will fit in the tank that would help also. I would highly recommend that you leave your gold fish at a friend's or family member's house until the construction is complete.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Yes, there are a few things you can do... Here are the steps to take:
    1) use a filter cartridge with carbon added.
    2) treat water with a clumping agent. One brand right off hand is called Accuclear, it makes small particles and sludge stick together and become large enough for the filter to catch them. (Be sure to clean your filter cartridge after using this, as it will eventually break down and release all the junk back into the tank).
    3)Do a 10 to 20% water change.
    4) cover your tank and the air pump with a sheet when work is being done and remove when dust has settled.
    To make sure there is nothing else going on like a bacterial bloom, could you test the water and post the readings..
    Kae
    alicialeigh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Thank you kae and introuble for your responses. I have to admit, I don't have a water tester but will get one and let you know what it says. In the meantime, we are going to change some of the water. We have replaced the filter cartridge and it does have carbon in it. I also like the idea of covering the tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Air Pumps for Goldfish [ 9 Answers ]

Odd, but I won 2 goldfish at the carnival 3 days ago. I went to Petsmart and bought a proper fish tank (2.5 gallons), bedding gravel, and plants for them. Since my father is the ultimate money saver, he insisted that we didn't need an air pump or filter. I saw the fish gulping for air on the...

Goldfish gulping at water line [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for visiting my question.. I have two young fancy goldfish Bob is a black moor about 1.5 in, Pearl is a Pearl Scale about 2in.. and of course I have Nascar the snail. I have a 20 gal tank for the moment with a 25 gal biowheel and a airstone. My tank is 0 on the ammonia, 7 ph, nitrite...

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

Goldfish with funny eyes... [ 3 Answers ]

? Recently I've noticed that my Red-Capped Oranda goldfish, Bacardi, has been growing what looks like thick blisters over his eyes. They don't seem to be bothering him, and he has no trouble navigating the fishtank or finding food at dinner time- but I'm not sure how well he can see. None of my...

View more questions Search