Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victorian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Self Employed
    In 2006 (this year) I managed to earn $60000 as a contractor (I work 100% from home doing programming work)

I'm in the state of Texas, so what taxes do I have to file and how many percentage are they? This is my first time being self employed. So far after reading online, ii know I have ot file 15.3% SE Tax, anything else I should worry about?

Thanks in advanced guys

Victoria
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2006, 06:34 PM
    Victoria:

The good news is that you will owe ZERO state income tax, because Texas has NO income tax! :)

If you had NO expenses in generating that income, and assuming you are single with no dependents, you would owe $17,667. This includes the self-employment tax and income taxes. This also includes an $800 underwithholding penalty (which probably can be waived since this is your first time filing a Schedule C).

I am sure you had a fair amount of legally deductible expenses that you incurred while generating that $60K in income which can be documented on Schedule C to reduce your tax load. The extent of those expenses is a bit too detailed to go into here.

If you want details, contact me at [email protected] for more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pay/file tax: F-1 OPT self-employed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 OPT and would like to work self-employed in the field I studied. More specifically, as an individual engineering consultant. Please help me with the following questions. (1) Is this legal? (2) Are there special procedures I need to go through? (e.g. register business)...

View more questions Search