Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Jun 22, 2010, 05:59 PM
    Security enabled on wireless network
    I cannot find an answer here relevant to my question. Is this: My computer is not wireless. One other computer in the house is connected to my router but that also is not wireless. My PC connection says 3-6 (varies) neighbors have wireless access to my computer, and possible the other one as well. Is there a way I can prevent them getting into my computer, like disabling something? Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 07:20 PM

What Router do you have? you just need to go into routers programming and disable wireless. Then no one can hack you wirelessly(Wireless after, or with your phone company is another story).

Jun 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    I have a Linksy router but where do I find its programming to disable wireless?

Jun 22, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    What Router do you have?, you just need to go into routers programming and disable wireless. Then no one can hack you wirelessly(Wireless after, or with your phone company is another story).
    I have a Linksys router. Yes, but were do I find router programming to disable wireless. That's the problem, and I was not asking about a phone.Thanx
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 05:31 AM

On Linksys, type in 192.168.1.1 and Your Router should ask for a Password and User Name, then Wireless, Then Where the channel selection, their should be an option for wireless, click "Disabled" then apply. Should work.
    About phones, I was saying Neighbors will not pick you up wirelessly, But your signal may go wireless later by phone company, miles down the road out of your control.
    What Model Linksys Router do you have?
    If you can't get to the Routers Menu(192.168.1.1 doesn't work), come back. And if you don't know the user name and password, come back again. Good Luck.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 05:07 PM
    [QUOTE=richka;2405297] My PC connection says 3-6 (varies) neighbors have wireless access to my computer, QUOTE]

I'm sorry where does it say this at?

Rick

Jul 1, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    On Linksys, type in 192.168.1.1 and Your Router should ask for a Password and User Name, then Wireless, Then Where the channel selection, their should be an option for wireless, click "Disabled" then apply. should work.
    About phones, I was saying Neighbors will not pick you up wirelessly, But your signal may go wireless later by phone company, miles down the road out of your control.
    What Model Linksys Router do you have?
    If you can't get to the Routers Menu(192.168.1.1 doesn't work), come back. And if you don't know the user name and password, come back again. Good Luck.
    192.168.1.1 doesn't take me to my router for user name/password which I don't know anyway. A wild goose chase! But thanks anyway!
    Networking Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 05:58 PM

Well the number 192.168.1.1 is just the default, it could vary by numbers. Knowing your router's IP is essential in disabling wireless.

Play with the numbers a little bit.
    192.168.1.2,3,4,5,6,7 etc...

Whp setup your router? Does it have any security setup on it?

Rick
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 07:25 PM

Go to your Command Prompt and enter "ipconfig" and see what it says for Gateway. Then type that into your address bar.
    Then go to somewhere like Routerpasswords.com, then select manufacturer, they give default passwords, this is helpful if you forgot password.
    Networking Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 07:27 PM

For my Linksys Router it is as follows:

Username: admin
    Password: admin

This is default however, u can try it but it could have been changed.

Rick
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 05:01 AM

If you do not have the same model as ITstudent, then try a place like Default Router Passwords - The internets most comprehensive router password database, look for your model, and try the default user name and password.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by richka View Post
    192.168.1.1 doesn't take me to my router for user name/password which I don't know anyway. A wild goose chase! but thanx anyway!
    No this wasn't a Wild goose chase. Strat gave you the correct info. Where did you type in the IP address? You should have typed it into the address bar of your browser. It should look like:

http:\\192.168.1.1

Jul 2, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No this wasn't a Wild goose chase. Strat gave you the correct info. Where did you type in the IP address? You should have typed it into the address bar of your browser. It should look like:

http:\\192.168.1.1
    This I did and was able to get into my router by finding password, admin, which is common for most routers. I disabled wireless and hope I did all correctly. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by richka View Post
    This I did and was able to get into my router by finding password, admin, which is common for most routers. I disabled wireless and hope I did all correctly. thanx
    Glad to hear you got it. See it wasn't a wild goose chase.
    Networking Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 09:53 AM

Now you'll always have that knowledge for your toolbox! :)

Rick
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 11:13 AM

Out of curiousity, what IP address worked, and was admin same for user name and password?
    Just Curious. Good you got her going.
    Hardwired is safer, more secure, and Faster. You can turn on wireless when you want, and if you look around, you will see where to enable security to keep neighbors out, should you have visitors/friends that have wireless Laptops.
    Jaymzkerten Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Jul 2, 2010, 11:52 AM
    The other thing is that some web browsers have issues sometimes with connecting to a router. I know for my linksys router I could not login to it on Firefox, but I could login to it just fine on Internet Explorer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

View more questions Search