Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Red oak versus white oak flooring
    We are in the midst of a renovation of our kitchen and adjacent family room, and as part of it we are replacing the old wall-to-wall carpet in the FR with hardwood flooring, to match the existing hardwood in the kitchen. They put down the new floor two weeks ago and feathered it nicely into the existing, so there is essentially a seamless transition from room to room. So far so good. The existing floor in the kitchen is natural color (no stain) with polyurethane. Well, today the contractor put a bit of poly down on the new floor just to see how it looks, and uh-oh it's totally different - doesn't match at all. Upon investigation we come to find out that the original floor is white oak, and these yo-yos have installed red oak in the FR! So now what? Do we rip the entire new floor out and start over? Or is it possible to stain the red oak so it matches the white?

Check out some similar questions!

Oak flooring on new concrete floor [ 4 Answers ]

How do I lay down new oak flooring on a new concrete floor ?

White ring on oak table [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new white ring on my oak table, How do I get rid of it? Does anybody know?

White oak history [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know the full history of the White Oak tree please. I mean literally everything about it I don't care if its 100 pages long. I need a lot of info on it. THank you for the help.

Old oak tongue & groove flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Did they contruct oak tongue and groove flooring without a subfloor?

Installing nail down flooring over oak parquet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! My house currently has 3/4 or 5/8" thick, 1ft x 1ft oak parquet flooring over slab. The problem is that all around the exterior perimeter walls, there is severe termite damage, to the poitn where it is almost veneer! I want to install new flooring. I was going to rip up all the...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.