Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarbell1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
    What are the disadvantages of painting interior wood door only with primer (Kilz 2)
    I am hiring someone to do the job but what would be the disadvantage of painting only with primer?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 10:50 AM

KILZ 2 is a latex primer that seals stains and odors but is not designed as a top coat. It is porous and will hold dirt and grease and not provide a long lasting finish. Why would you consider doing this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Hi, jarbell1!

I agree with ballengerb1 and would like to add, that latex primers can be used as the finishing coat on walls and ceilings and look really good, especially if at least two coats are applied.

But, as far as using them as the finish coat on areas that might have hands on them and get bumped on a frequent basis, they aren't good to use and serve little purpose then as being used as the finish coat.

The four, main disadvantages to using them are, that they don't tend to cover up other darker colors of paint as well as finishing paints that are designed to be used as top coats, they aren't as durable as top coat paints, if you try to wash a mark off them, you risk taking some of the primer off the surface right away and thus will likely end up with another mark to fix and, as ballengerb1 already stated, they are porous and will be more likely to hold dirt and grease more readily.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior painting - what type of primer do I use? [ 1 Answers ]

What type of primer should I use on a house interior? The house was built in 1964. I'm not sure if the existing paint is oil based or water based. I plan on using latex paint.

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

How much to charge per door for interior painting jobs? [ 1 Answers ]

Just starting a new painting business and unsure about what to charge. French doors take longer obviously than panel doors. Is there an exceptable flat fee to charge per door, per side? According to some other answers I have seen .70 cents per square foot for walls and 1.20 for trim was the going...

Painting metal interior door [ 9 Answers ]

I tried to intoduce myself but could not figure out where to go to do so. I am trying to repaint a metal interior door. It is currently white. Is there special paint for metal? I don't want brush marks on the door so do I roll it? If so what kind of roller. Do I need to prime the door first even...

I am exploring the possibility of painting the interior of my wood burning fireplace [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience in this, and if so what type and color of paint would you recommend? Any help is appreciated.

View more questions Search