Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjbbj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
    Sewer smell coming from the shower drain during and after shower
    Recently had our bathroom redone, (new walk in shower, bath tub, floors, counter, sink, etc.) now when we shower (after it has been turned on for about 5 minutes) we get a sewer smell that comes from the drain, it continues after the shower is turned off filling the smell through our entire bedroom. The plumber just put a flapper in the drain now I think the smell is worse and our shower drains slow. Previous to the construction we had an enclosed shower and no smell
    waylan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:50 AM

Sounds as if p-trap from original drain was removed and not replaced during remodel. The p-trap keeps the gas odors from coming through drain lines.
    rjbbj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 10:00 AM

Thank you for the quick response, I have sent this information to my contractor. I sure would think the plumber could have figured that out, maybe he just doesn't want to admit he made a mistake
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2010, 11:29 AM

If the installer had left the trap off you would be smelling sewer gas from the git-go and for 24/7 every day. Is that the case here? If not then you just have a smelly drain.
    Most bad odors in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Remove the two screws holding the strainer. (TIP; put the screws in the soap dish before they get lost down the drain.) Shine a light down there and with a bent coathanger fish out any hair that may be hiding down there. Then pour a 1/2 gal. of bleach down into the trap and let it set over night. Next morning flush the mess down with 2 large pans of boiling water, (this is important). The bleach will dissolve the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and get the mess out of your drain. Smell better now? Cheers TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell coming from shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

My problem differs from most that have asked this similar question. 6 months ago I had to replace my old leaking cast iron p-trap and drain in my shower. I replaced it with a PVC P-trap and new drain. I used a rubber gasket with a couple pipe clamps to connect the new PVC trap to the existing...

Sewer Smell From Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower in the lower level (3-ft below grade) which I don't use and keep getting a noticeable sewer-like smell from the shower drain. When I have the smell, I look down the drain with a flashlight and I cannot see any water. If I run water into the drain the smell disappears for a time...

Sewer Smell in Shower Drain - even the plumber doesn't know what to do! [ 7 Answers ]

HELP! I have a rental house in Utah. I moved out in July and the new tenants moved in in August. They immediately started to notice a sewer-like smell in the upstairs master shower. (I was there for 3 years and no issues) I called the plumber. He snaked the pipes and they were clear. He checked...

Sewer smell coming from shower drain [ 7 Answers ]

I have an acrylic stand up shower. I am on septic. I moved in this house in Oct. of '06. I have always used this shower every day. I never noticed the sewer smell until around June of '07. Could it be the hot weather that is causing the smell? The drain flows real good. No backup. It does not...

Gurgling in the shower drain and sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a 100 year old farm house about 8 months ago. The plumbing was replaced in the 80's. We are learning the ins and outs of the house. About 2 weeks ago we started hearing a gurgling sound in the shower drain in the upstairs bathroom when we flushed the toilet. Now we are smelling a...

View more questions Search