Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumppit1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 04:31 AM
    Can a sump pit be turned in to an ejector pit? Or will I have overflow problems?
    My brother refinished my basement including a bathroom. He used one of my sump pits as an ejector pit. I am told that the furnace, water softner & washer also drain into this pit. However since the bathroom has been finished about 4x a year I get water from the pit or drain in the furnace room. I have been told this is because the ejector pit is incorrectly sized & should not be tied into these other drains, and to correct the problem I need to have an actual correctly sized ejector pit put in. Is this true? This will be a difficult task, so I am wondering if there is an easier way to fix the water overflow problem besides digging up the concrete floor?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2010, 06:45 AM

I'm curious. Tell me more about this sump pit and its system. Is the pit open? What does it discharge into? How long have the bathroom been connectedc? Any vents run?
    Let's have more details Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 09:48 AM

Please, snap few pictures of your sewer ejector pit and surrounding area and post it for us to see... Thanks... Milo
    sumppit1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 08:27 PM

I can snap a few pic in the morning. The sump pit I am told is a standard 24" deep pit. It has the furnace, water softner drain, hot water heater drain, washer, and then the toilet, bath tub (rarely used) & bathroom sink. It is vented to the roof and was sealed when it leaked somehow. The bathroom has been finished about 18 years
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2010, 07:35 AM

If you have a bathroom group connected then you don't have a sump pit, you already have a ejector pit.
    Does you present setup accept the solids from then toilet? What size piping do you have? Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pit vs sewage pit [ 2 Answers ]

We are putting a new bath in our basement. We have an existing sump pit for laundry that is about 18" deep. I don't think it is deep enough for a sewage pump. Do we need to tear it out and put in a sewage pit?

Ejector Pit and A/C drainage [ 8 Answers ]

I had a new overhead sewer installed including an ejector pump for my washer, wash tub, floor drains and A/C and furnace humidifier drainage. The A/C and humidifier condensate drainage line (which is PVC and is run together) runs into the through of the pit cover but is not sealed. It runs through...

New ejector pit insulation Problems. [ 2 Answers ]

I removed 2 old clay pits, after the removal I noticed water coming from the ground under the drain tile. One person says it is normal that when the level rises above the tile it will drain into the pit, and another says I have a leaking pipe. I know my water is not leaking and I did not break...

Ejector pit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, selling my house and the "home inspector" suggested to the buyers that the ejector pit should be sealed, mine handles only laundry water and wash tub and is a standard type sump pit with a plastic lift of lid that has a slot half way through for the pipes. What would be the proper way, and...

View more questions Search