Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acg629 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Would dental insurance cover a second root canal on the same tooth?
    When I was 16 or 17, I got a root canal procedure done on tooth 28. I had no dental insurance and my parents paid for it and I got it filled. For some reason, the dentist said that a crown was unnecessary at the time. I was still young and I wasn't positive how the whole root canal thing works and it may have been due to my parent's inability to afford the crown, but I'm not sure. After the procedure I began taking really good care of my teeth because I never wanted that to happen again.

Now at 23, I feel like I may have a cavity in the same tooth because I didn't get a crown. Although I should've prioritized it, I haven't been able to go to a dentist because my parents divorced and could not financially support me and I've been working my butt off through college. I cannot completely confirm that my cavity is there having not been to a dentist, but if I were to get dental insurance now would it cover a new root canal and crown on the same tooth or would it be classified as a preexisting condition?
    acg629 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 11:40 PM

I guess I kind of have an answer to my own question. Typically there is a "basic services" and "major services" waiting period for dental insurance. This means that if you get dental insurance now it'll start covering preventative care immediately, however, you have to wait for several months before you can get something such as a filling or root canal done so that they can ensure that your teeth were fine until after you got the insurance. For example, the dental insurance plans that I was offered from United Health One require me to wait 6 months for "basic services" such as cavity fillings and tooth extractions, and 12 months for "major services" such as root canals and bridges.

Any experts, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 06:26 AM

Insurance companies will usually cover treatment on previously treated tooth as long as there has been a certain number of years between treatments, usually 5. Insurance may not cover the replacement of teeth if the teeth were already missing before the coverage came in to place.
    Shop carefully for your insurance plan and compare plans closely. You don't want to be paying premiums for coverage you may never need.

Never believe that if a tooth has a crown on it that it won't get a cavity because that is not the case. Teeth with crowns can decay under the crown and teeth that have had root canals and then crowns can decay as well. The unfortunate thing about this situation (root canal and crown) is that often there is no sensitivity notice by the client and the decay can be quite extensive before it is found leading to replacement of the crown or removal of the tooth.

You may be able to have a dentist place a temporary filling to buy you some time until your insurance will cover the placement of the filling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a tooth with a root canal still ache a year later? [ 4 Answers ]

About 3 years ago I had an abscessed tooth. The whole left side of my face swelled up. I was put on antibiotics and waited until the swelling went down until I could get a root canal. I also had a crown put on it about a year ago. It has just started bothering me in the last month especially...

Temp filling came out of root canal tooth [ 1 Answers ]

Had a root canal done.No $ to have crown put on afterward.I think the temp filling has come out,and there is cotton like stuff coming out of the tooth.I thought it was a piece of food,(possibly) but have realized it was cotton.Dentist cannot see me to have cown put on for 1wk and 1/2.Can I pt...

Root canal done on tooth with crown [ 2 Answers ]

Does the crown have to be removed before they do the root canal what is procedure Thanks Lori

Trying to find a dental college for root canal/crown [ 1 Answers ]

I am on the verge of losing my #29 tooth (bicuspid), dentist says nerve is dead and needs root canal then crown. I only have a prepaid dental plan, the 670.00 that the endodontist wants for just the root canal is not possible on my married solo income of 20k. I am in the jacksonville Florida area...

Root canal tooth came out [ 1 Answers ]

My back tooth which had a root canal and crown just came out, crown and tooth intact with a silver post. I don't know what to do. Help, I don't think the dentist is in his office until Monday and it is Friday night. I'm thinking the tooth had decayed under the crown. I have a huge hole in my...

View more questions Search